Help me fix this! (Gear Grinding problem)

96supersnake

Established Member
on my car i can mash the clutch all the way in , it will grind unless i rev it between shifting and shift slowly.

03DropTopGT

Established Member
txlen said:
i got an idea for ya..do ya have floor mats in the car??...take them out and go drive it...assuming the clutch is adjusted correctly and see if it shifts right, i've seen many people with thick floormats stop the clutch from totally disengaging the trans...i've even seen people with double floormats having issues too!!!..lol..

Haha, that's what I thought too, but I just end up pulling it back most the time..

And I'm bringin in the stang on Monday. I'll let you guys know this week what happens. It's still under warranty so hopefully they'll replace it no questions asked.

*edit: I wish I could ditch this s****y stock tranny but, I can't afford to.. Gotta take what I can get :(

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
I wish I could adjust that clutch for you. I had a 3650 myself and it did the same thing untill I adjuted it properly. Im not saying thats is the problem but I would rule it out first. Id almost bet anything you arent doing the adjustment properly.

jfsram

Established Member
What is the proper adjustment of a clutch.

If the floor mats solve the problem. It's still not correct. You should not need to push the pedal down to the mat to change gears.

The only time my clutch pedals are down to the mat is to start the engine.
That's on my Ram and my Mustang.

Both engage about 1/2 way up and you barely have to push it half way to upshift when you are just blending into traffic.

03DropTopGT

Established Member
JMD0346 said:
I wish I could adjust that clutch for you. I had a 3650 myself and it did the same thing untill I adjuted it properly. Im not saying thats is the problem but I would rule it out first. Id almost bet anything you arent doing the adjustment properly.

How are you adjusting it?:shrug:

And to let everyone know, I'm bringing it THIS coming monday. I was going to yesterday, but I had classes and work, so I didn't have time. I'm gonna call up ford before the end of this week and set up an appointment to have it brought it on Monday 2/19. Sorry for the delay you guys, I'll keep you posted.

One thing that sucks ass is that I've been putting off my 30,000 mile inspection or whatever by Ford, and they're gonna pressure me to do it. 500 bucks, ugh.

GT_Jim

Established Member
Well....you can put pressure on the service writer, it has helped me in the past. If you have a problem, take it to them get an oil change and/or major service done. Come back in 2 weeks about the problem you are having, when they give you the runaround, thats when you plead your case. ie. I always bring my car to you guys for work and trust you guys to make this right, all that bull. It will work most of the time, either by them covering it or in my case only charging half the cost. My $900.00 rear main seal cost me $400.00 by the time I was done. and I bought the vehicle in question with 51,000 miles from a used car dealer with no warranty or service contract of any kind. Try this first and see if it works. If not then you should be able to get another 3650 for about $650.00 or less used, just install yourself. Also, if you have a high pitched noise coming from the transmission area under the car, I am willing to bet that it was your throwout bearing riding against the pressure plate. This will cause issues with clutch function in general and is a sign that the clutch IS NOT adjusted properly. Also it will wear out the clutch faster and could cause you to "run out" of clutch meaning that even though you have the pedal to the floor it is not engaging all the way and causing the trans. to shift rough. I have dealt with this problem myself, it does happen. However, the 3650 is also just as much a pile of junk as the T-45 it replaced.

03DropTopGT

Established Member
Hey everyone (this'll hopefully help 96supersnake for the mean time, til I bring my stang into Ford), I just adjusted my pedal using corral.net's guide to adjusting the clutch, found here: http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/clutcha.htm

It's necessary to read every word, especially for me, because I had no idea what I was doing. If you're not familiar with what things look like under the dash, I recommend trying to squeeze yourself underneath there, to try and see what the picture in the link is really showing. I spent a good 30 minutes tinkering with the clutch, and trying to squeeze myself underneath (not an easy task, it's cramped as hell), but eventually I found the "adjustment" itself to be super easy.

One tip I recommend when doing this adjustment, is to try and get your left and right arm in while kneeling next to the car. You'll notice that when you push the hook, the clutch pedal moves with it. Push down on the clutch with your left hand, then while pushing "up" on the hook, start pulling the clutch back towards you, as if you were pulling it the opposite direction of the hook (you'll see what I'm talking after you read).

So far, I drove it around a bit.. no more grinding, much cleaner shifts. It was very weird the first few shifts, the catch point is in a much different spot, its a lot higher. However, it's not bad at all. Actually I might just prefer it.

I'm still going to bring in my car on Monday, but just a head's up so far of what I've done, plus the results.

Established Member
Hey guys ! Great Thread, as I'm having the same problem. My 3rd and 4th gears grind alot when the revs are high, but from a stop I have both gears. I know this of a fact as I've actually taken off using 3rd and 4th. But once I
up shift out of second and into 3rd, NO WAY, its not going and 4th is a waste as well. I simply slide into 5th. Yuk ! I am going to try adjusting the clutch with what 03DropTopGT mentioned, and lets see if I can actually save myself from droppin the tranny.

Its a 02 GT with 83,000 kms on the clock !

03DropTopGT

Established Member
Update: Just dropped off my car at the Ford Dealership (one that I haven't been to before.) They said they've dealt with this problem and will either fix the problem, or just put in a new transmission if that's cheaper.

03DropTopGT

Established Member
96supersnake said:
Thanks for all the updates. Good luck with everything.

Hey, did you just get that Roush in your sig?

God I was eyeing an 07 Roush Stage 2 when I went to Ford today..White with blue stripes...Looked gorgeous! Except for the price tag: 44,999.
:shrug:

03DropTopGT

Established Member
Update for anyone that searches the forum and has this problem.

Transmission was the problem. Something with Forward gear synchros, and damaged gear teeth.

Just as I had suspected. :D

I get the car back on Tuesday, so I'll post exactly what was the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread