Help me decide next mods

TVSed GT

Established Member
Alright guys I’m not sure what mods should be up next for my 12 gt, hoping you guys can help me with the pros and cons of my options. Currently have vmp gen2r with 82mm pulley, twin 67 tb, jlt 123, vmp tuned on 93 octane, off-road x pipe, roush ab’s, alum driveshaft, exedy stage 3 clutch, upr uca w/ mount, lcas with relos, etc.
I’m torn between the following:
1.going e85, which would require 1000cc injectors and return fuel system at about $2700
2. Long tube headers at about $1500 including mid pipe.
3. Set of l&m cams for $1600 and likely the only item I’m unsure I could tackle myself
4. Nothing and save for a built short block so I can safely turn up boost.

Look forward to everyone’s advice and maybe some different suggestions. Thanks for reading!

GModder

Established Member
First off, expect every response to be different and conflicting...but here's mine:
1. E85-Pricey and depends on your fuel source. I have no knowledge other than that.
2. LT headers-My pick by far. I think you'll notice a real nice power & torque boost across the power band. It will however raise the noise level a noticeable amount, but you can always adjust with mufflers. I put them on my bone stock setup and noticed a real nice improvement along with that glorious LTH sound.
3. Cams-It fits along with E85 to squeeze all you can get.
4. Short block is the most serious step to big power with lots of boost.
Big power with big price tag.
It reallly depends on your goals-all it takes is money! Happy modding!

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ll probably end up going long tubes myself.
Short block is also tempting but I don’t want to blow more money into my 5.0 without getting the return later. I’d rather buy a 13/14 shelby and build that when the time comes. Also, built block and more boost would likely require better fuel (e85) so price of block and e85 together gets pricey real quick. I’d LOVE cams, but labor price honestly kills the potential for 50 hp. You’re talking 2K+ and would only consider installing during an engine build to help save with the labor cost.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TVSed GT

Established Member
I’m in the same boat as you. I’ll probably end up going long tubes myself.
Short block is also tempting but I don’t want to blow more money into my 5.0 without getting the return later. I’d rather buy a 13/14 shelby and build that when the time comes. Also, built block and more boost would likely require better fuel (e85) so price of block and e85 together gets pricey real quick. I’d LOVE cams, but labor price honestly kills the potential for 50 hp. You’re talking 2K+ and would only consider installing during an engine build to help save with the labor cost.
What brand are you leaning towards? I’m inclined to go kooks since I’ve heard the o2 bungs are angled to prevent killing them if you ever run e85. Not sure if any others are built the same way.

TVSed GT

Established Member
What brand are you leaning towards? I’m inclined to go kooks since I’ve heard the o2 bungs are angled to prevent killing them if you ever run e85. Not sure if any others are built the same way.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
Kooks as well. I’m really only considering them and American Racing Headers. I live in good ol’ California so probably going with a high-flow or green h-pipe as well to at least give me some sort of visual pass if I ever get pulled over for it lol. Keep going back and forth between the 2 brands but will probably end up with kooks.

TVSed GT

Established Member
I feel for ya. Virginia sucks at times when it comes to cars but California sounds like some next level bullshit

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Love my Kooks headers but I would go e-85. With a 82mm pulley you can run e-85 with a boost a pump. Not sure what boosters will support it but the JMS set on 20v works great.

Expect to pick up around 60 whp from the fuel conversion.

You can find a set of new id1050s for 850 if you look around a bit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Reaper14

Established Member
My vote goes for saving up to turn up the boost. You can do that & save up for it all together. That way you do headers while swapping out short block & kill 2 birds with one stone & save on $. Im saving up myself for shortblock too.

Vic

TVSed GT

Established Member
850 for ID1050s is a damn good deal, where have you seen that before?
Also I’m running a VMP bap, I’ll check with them on that part.

TVSed GT

Established Member
My vote goes for saving up to turn up the boost. You can do that & save up for it all together. That way you do headers while swapping out short block & kill 2 birds with one stone & save on $. Im saving up myself for shortblock too.

Vic

Who are you planning on getting your short block from?

Captain Crunch

Established Member
850 for ID1050s is a damn good deal, where have you seen that before?
Also I’m running a VMP bap, I’ll check with them on that part.
I have a set of 1050xs new in the box I will give you a great deal on. Pm me if interested!

Users who are viewing this thread