Help me build my engine!

elcobrita

Established Member
Hello all,

Option 1, build an aluminum block and save 70lbs
Option 2, build a Boss block and add .4 liters

I dont want to get any kind of stroker as I have read that they will last less and will throw the stroke to bore off. I wanna build this engine and have it last a long time.

So my questions are:
Which option is better for a weekend driver and once a month drag strip car? What will make the car go down the track faster? The added .4 liters or shaving 70lbs? Which will be more reliable? I havent seen many stock bore, stock stroke boss 5.0 builds out there, are they reliable?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I went with a big bore stroker last time around. If you increase the bore and stroke you pretty much keep the square set up the stock displacement has. My car was a daily for a long time and then went to fun cruiser. I put about 20k on it before the radiator hose blew. If that hadn't happened I'd still be driving it. I wish I knew where my dyno sheet was with the D1. With a centri the torque looked like a twin screw car. And I'm always of the mindset there's no replacement for displacement. In fact at some point I'm going to rebuild the BB/S and drop it into the mystic.

So I say go with the Boss set up.

elcobrita

Established Member
I went with a big bore stroker last time around. If you increase the bore and stroke you pretty much keep the square set up the stock displacement has. My car was a daily for a long time and then went to fun cruiser. I put about 20k on it before the radiator hose blew. If that hadn't happened I'd still be driving it. I wish I knew where my dyno sheet was with the D1. With a centri the torque looked like a twin screw car. And I'm always of the mindset there's no replacement for displacement. In fact at some point I'm going to rebuild the BB/S and drop it into the mystic.

So I say go with the Boss set up.

Why did your radiator hose blow?

How much hp/tq did you pick up when you put in the 5.3 over the 4.6?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I had a Stock stroke boss block. I hated the extra weight.. Engine blew anyways, now I'm doing a 10:1 teksid stock stroke build..

elcobrita

Established Member
I had a Stock stroke boss block. I hated the extra weight.. Engine blew anyways, now I'm doing a 10:1 teksid stock stroke build..

I take it you were coming from an aluminum block tho right? I don't think the weight will be that much more I have an iron block already. But shaving 70lbs from the nose of the car would be pretty good

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Why did your radiator hose blow?

How much hp/tq did you pick up when you put in the 5.3 over the 4.6?
Oil soaked and old. One of those things where I meant to replace it but something else kept coming up. I never dynoed the 4.6. But the 5.3 made 496/469 on low boost. Around 12psi IIRC. And that was on a Mustang dyno.

gabe1530

Banned
what power adder are you using? the 2.3 tvs in your sig?

i would go aluminum over boss block anyday. 98 saleen and i are in the same boat. with the additional 70lbs off the front, the car will feel completely different.
also, if you have e85, you can bump your compression up and have a killer setup.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I take it you were coming from an aluminum block tho right? I don't think the weight will be that much more I have an iron block already. But shaving 70lbs from the nose of the car would be pretty good

I've had a aluminum block, then the boss block, now back to AL.. The difference is real..

Driving my buddies 04 with a iron block, then went aluminum was a huge difference in itself.. It's amazing how much nimble the car will feel.. It's just something you'll have to experience.

elcobrita

Established Member
what power adder are you using? the 2.3 tvs in your sig?

i would go aluminum over boss block anyday. 98 saleen and i are in the same boat. with the additional 70lbs off the front, the car will feel completely different.
also, if you have e85, you can bump your compression up and have a killer setup.

I've had a aluminum block, then the boss block, now back to AL.. The difference is real..

Driving my buddies 04 with a iron block, then went aluminum was a huge difference in itself.. It's amazing how much nimble the car will feel.. It's just something you'll have to experience.

Thanks for the input guys. I will probably be going with an aluminum block then. You guys have had both and say aluminum is the way to go.

fr03cobra

Established Member
I tried to order the alloy block for the boss and no one recommended it. not sure why so i'm stuck with the cast iron boss.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Your other option is to go big bore teksid and sleeve it.. But it's not recommend for super high hp..

elcobrita

Established Member
what is your fuel situation and how much boost are you on now with the tvs?

I currently run 14lbs. I will be running my TVS on low boost till I get a return fuel system then I will be upping it to 22lbs and e85. I currently have a boost a pump and 60lb injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread