HELP!! Lean and inconsistent.

Kennebell2v

Let me start by saying hello!! I have been reading on these forums as well as others for a while now. I have been given a lot of really good ideas thru this forum and members without having ever communicated directly. I recently just joined, and I am completely open to any and all criticism or help offered. Anything from my car to how I format my post(s).

Now a little about my car:
03 GT
Still 2v 4.6
Tr3650
MMR750 rotating assembly
Stock heads with stage 2 cams from modular head shop.
KenneBell 2.1
JLT cai
75mm tb
60lb dekas
Kenne Bell BAP.
DW300m fuel pump
BBK long tubes
BBK mid pipe O/R
Magnaflow dumped

PROBLEM:
When the tune seems to be going good and drivability is acceptable I get all excited to start going WOT! Then I find no matter what I do or try in falls on its face and goes ALL THE WAY lean in first gear only!!! Just recently I installed a new FRPS with a Kenne Bell disc underneath and now it does it in first and 2nd gear!
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance to all!!

Last edited:

Sluggie24

Established Member
You have to watch the data in the pcm when its happening. Fuel pump and injector duty cycles, MAF reading, upstream O2 sensors and FRPS. I'd bet just watching those will show where the problem is.

Kennebell2v

Fuel pump is hitting .42 (84%)
I’m running forced open loop right now via TP so no 02 data.
FRPS showing 39-44lbs depending on load. With spikes of 90lbs(max that data logger will show) as soon as I come off throttle at high load.

What would you like to see from MAF?

Kennebell2v

In the same log I can show where in 3rd gear everything looks perfect or at least close anyway. However in 1st gear on same log it goes full lean!!

Also I should’ve mentioned that I am using sct live link to data log, and after trying multiple tuners that say it’s mechanical I have started doing my own tuning with Advantage software.

I can’t find anything in the tune or mechanical that seems to be an issue.
If anyone offers advice regardless if I tried it before I will still give it a try!
I’m desperate!!!! If you told me that painting my car would help I’d try it!

Last edited:

Sluggie24

Established Member
Paint your car mystic...

But seriously, what is the duty cycle of the injectors? Do both banks go lean or just one? Have you looked at your plugs?

Kennebell2v

Only fuel parameters I can find to log are fpdc and frps. Plugs look good to my eye. I have not looked with any magnification. I had the last set gapped at .30 looked rich. Now gapped at .28 look great?

I questioned the injectors (36lb) that came with Kenne Bell kit, so I purchased the 60lb Dekas and had Don Lasota correct the tune to no avail. FYI plugs last changed with injector change. Maybe 400miles ago.
Fresh set about to go in when I do a compression and leak down.

Also I did have 2 wide bands hooked up A month or so ago with both banks being within reason as far as agreeing.
The auto meter pegged out 17.1 and the aem at 23.9. Normal driving the left bank is always a bit lean with the bypass open. I suspect do to it location over #5 cylinder? As soon as the boost starts even 1-2lb the trims come back to even which is also reflected on the widebands. This happens even before going open loop.
I’m now just running the aem on the right side.

Last edited:

Sluggie24

Established Member
Injector pulse width on your wot table is where you should focus. There should be vaules there that you need to increase to fix the lean condition. Since you said it goes way lean at wot you should increase all the values by 25% across the rpm range. Then see how the engine runs at wot. Adjust accordingly after that till you get the ratio where you want it through the rpm range. You will probavly have to adjust several times after several pulls till you get it tweeked. If you can use your wideband readings with rpm in a datalog it will save you time. You will want to set it on the rich side through the rpm range to stay safe.

Kennebell2v

My problem is I can only adjust based on set parameters ie: rpm,ect,MAF counts. Well in 3rd and 4th gear AFR is great! If anything a lil rich. In 1st gear it goes lean!!! But I can not change parameters based off of gear?

If I try to rich the tune just to help first out the I’m super rich everywhere else causeing the car to barley even want to drive?

All my injector data was supplied by manufacture and scaled by sct.

I will get laptop out when I get home in next day or so and will look at pulse width more in depth.

Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread