Help!!! Inner Tie rod removal

silver50

Established Member
hey guys, I'm trying to remove my driver side inner tie rod, but for the life of me, I can't get it off. I removed the outer tie rod already and got the rubber boot off. My problem is the inner tie rod has a smooth spherical connection to the rack and pinion so I can't get a grip for the life of me. This is the second night in a row I have tried to remove it, and I just can't figure it out. I really need to remove the inner tie rod. I got into a small accident with the car. long story short lost control of the car in a corner, tried to recover and over corrected. cracked my rim and bent the inner tie rod. also bent the pan hard bar. As of right now that is all the damage I see at this point. I am knocking on wood that nothing else is wrong, but I need to get it fixed. pan hard bar is already ordered, and I already have the inner tie rod. I need to get this installed since this is my DD. Please try to hold all the criticism to a minimum, I am already beating myself up for being an idiot. I just need to get the car back operational.

silver50

Established Member
Just to post up. I was 10 days that my car was down. I got it running and it drives great. only thing else I have to do is buy one replacement rim and paint it to match the other wheels. I also have to smooth the lip of the rim that is scratched. I do want to let you know I tried 3 different inner tie rod tools to remove the inner tie rod. The first tool had the biggest insert size of 1 7/16" insert which was too small. I then rented one from oreilly auto parts which again none of the inserts worked. I finally special ordered one with a 1 1/2" insert for the inner tie rod tool which was still too small. After trying 3 different tools, I said f it, and just bought a 14" pipe wrench and tighten it down the best I could and cranked the sh** out of it which finally did the trick. I also found out about two day after the original post that there was a plastic ring covering the hex pattern on the ball joint which attached the inner tie rod to the ring and pinion. when I originally tried take the tie rod off, I didn't notice the cover. It just looked like a plastic/ rubber coating on the piece that was from the ring and pinion that attached to the ball joint of the inner tie rod. Well lesson learned. I will be buying a new rim in the next month or so. I would buy it sooner, but I am going on vacation for a month in a couple of weeks and would rather wait to I get back to spend the extra money on the car. For now, I just have my stock rims with the tires I usually use at the track for the mean time. I hope this can help someone that has a similar issue removing the inner tie rod from their mustang in the future

Users who are viewing this thread