Help identifying these sounds

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
Hey everyone, hoping to get some help here. I took the cobra out yesterday and noticed that it started making a ticking and squealing/chirping sound when it was idling. I'm not sure what's causing it and did a few searches on here to try and help.
At first I thought the ticking was an exhaust leak but everything looked fine when I crawled underneath and It seems when I engage the clutch the sound goes away.
I'm going to try and get it on a hoist this weekend to further investigate but hoping for some input/direction on your thoughts.
Possible it's the Throw out bearing?
Here are 2 videos to show the sound.

Cobra has minor basic mods with just over 14,000 miles

Apologies for the seatbelt alarm ringing in the second video

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Tob..

Very common..lucky a very easy repair..

I had them last week's and some years.

I've also had noise come and go..squeaked for a few days than stopped..

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
Tob..

Very common..lucky a very easy repair..

I had them last week's and some years.

I've also had noise come and go..squeaked for a few days than stopped..

Thanks, I'll look into ordering a throw out bearing and sleeve. It just started so I'll see if it goes away or if it's sticking around.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Use a ford bearing..

Oem sleeve is known to break..

I got mine from tremec out of dallas,
It's a 2 piece sleeve..it has a second collar piece that fits behind bearing.

Car had 40k when it snapped

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
For the top video noise I recommend using a stethoscope to help narrow down the location. A stethoscope helped when I thought I had a rod knock on my '99 but luckily it turned out to be a lash adjuster.

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
For the top video noise I recommend using a stethoscope to help narrow down the location. A stethoscope helped when I thought I had a rod knock on my '99 but luckily it turned out to be a lash adjuster.

That's a good idea and i will look into that, its weird though because the ticking sound also goes away when the clutch is engaged.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I found a video of a 6-cylinder car that make a knocking/ticking noise with a bad TOB. I'm betting that both of those videos indicate a bad TOB. Post a follow-up after you install the new TOB.

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
really? Can you do a second vid showing the ticking sound disappear when the clutch it pushed in? Very odd...
For sure I'll try and get a vid uploaded this weekend

I found a video of a 6-cylinder car that make a knocking/ticking noise with a bad TOB. I'm betting that both of those videos indicate a bad TOB. Post a follow-up after you install the new TOB.

That gives me a bit of relief, (I guess I should have posted this in the "driveline" section)
I will definitely update this when I get around to swapping out the TOB. May not be for a few weeks though. Thanks for your input Bob

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
really? Can you do a second vid showing the ticking sound disappear when the clutch it pushed in? Very odd...

Here is another video, I laid my phone on the ground but you can hear the ticking appear then disappeared once the clutch was engaged (clutch was engaged around the 17 second mark then engaged every couple seconds) there didn't seem to be a chirp noise this time.

Users who are viewing this thread