Help identify these nests

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
I have 2 different types of nests that have been popping up my my back deck for the past month. They could very well be from the same bug just at different stages of construction.
My bug control company is stumped and has sent these photos to a "bug professional"

Every time I knock a nest down 5 more pop up. They are even all over my ceiling fan. I thought a saw tiny red bugs building the nests but some of the nests have black bugs that look to be dead.

Any suggestions? I live near Atlanta.

IMG_4533_zps68df0f54.gif

IMG_4532_zps3bfaac88.gif

IMG_4531_zps4db65abb.gif

IMG_4526_zpsfa2ef965.gif

IMG_4525_zps9fdb5646.gif

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
The last one looks like fall army worms. Look for little brown moths in your grass. If you have Bermuda grass you might want to consider having it sprayed. If they get loose they will eat all the blades. The grass won't die, but it will look like it's dormant. If you have areas of your yard that look really dry(brown) for no reason, check out the edges of the brown areas in the morning or real late in the afternoon. That's where they will be. If you find them, bifenthrin is your friend.

Attachments

• army-worm-collage3.jpg
    army-worm-collage3.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 238

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
Thanks for the info, army worms have been ruled out as my lawn is already treated for those.
I'm going to let a few of the nests go untouched for a week or 2 and see if anything hatches from them.

Users who are viewing this thread