help- How to tell SVT engine from "standar" duratec?

SethMax

Established Member
:-D Guys, I'm sure you're tired of hearing about the saga that is my life, but I have one more little question for you:

I'm having a new engine put in my (soon to be) '99 SVT. The dealership says "6 days" and that seems too quick as compared to the 2-month-wait horror stories I've read about the SVT contours. How can I tell it's an SVT engine that's going back in? Sounds like the blocks are the same on all 2.5L Duratecs, but are the pistons/heads/cams different? I can tell a non SVT intake plenum from an SVT unit, but that's about it.
I don't eat/sleep/breathe these cars... YET

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide! I'm so excited to get a fresh motor and a new-to-me SVT that I can't stand it... time to start ordering hop-up goodies!

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
6 days huh? Hmmm thats weird, but anyways, with as much trouble Ford is in, I highly doubt you will get a regular duratec, im sure a SVT 2.5 will be put in...rest easy.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
from the out side, nothing is really different besides the black intake plenum vs the 'regular' duratec being gray, and of course the SVT badge on the front cover.......Otherwise find the casting numbers that may help

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Same block & head casting

Only internal changes on the engine.

I'm sure you'd notice some drivability problems right off the bat with a PCM setup for higher CR and more airflow.
That and missing 30HP (maybe more with wrong PCM program)

I do not see them putting a standard Duratec in there either.

Users who are viewing this thread