Help Diagnosing Transmission Bearing Noise

greenflash00

Established Member
Ok so the trans has started to make a little tapping,grinding, thrashing noise over the last week. My first thought is the TOB but typically I see those make a squealing noise and then go away when you press the clutch.

-This noise increases with engine RPM in or out of gear
-It Does change sound som with the clutch pressed in though It still grinds when pressed in. Maybe slightly less. More of a whirring sound then with slightly less thrashing
-Thrashing metal on metalish sound at idle but no squealing
-While I'm pushing the pedal down I'm getting this noise that almost sounds like a stretching sound from the cable or pedal..not sure how to describe that. Maybe I'm hearing the PP operation? Cable is OEM.
-FWA is pretty far in as it's always been so it grabs closer to the floor but I think the TOB is still touching the fingers.

Here's the thing. The TOB, clutch, pilot bearing, and input shaft bearings are all new. They have 5k miles on them.

Really hoping its just the TOB and not input shaft bearings.

What do we think gents?

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
It's actually not a ford TOB…It's one of Promotion powertrain's bearings that came with my clutch kit.

Then its probably your TOB. I hear most of the bearings that come in the clutch kits are junk. I am in the process of changing my clutch and TOB. My stock bearing going out sounded like a rattling grinding and not a squeal.

SlowSVT

Established Member
It's actually not a ford TOB…It's one of Promotion powertrain's bearings that came with my clutch kit.

Doesn't matter who makes it. The problem is inherent in the design itself (one of the worst I have seen). They are more or less a roll-of-the-dice affair when you install a new one. Some last a long time, others don't.

Bigggy

Established Member
When my OEM TOB took a dump last year it sounded similar to that with the addition of the clutch not fully disengaging. I rushed to the first parking lot and it already started to burn the clutch, so a bit worst then yours. Like SlowSVT said it seems to be hit and miss on the TOB lifespan.

You could remove the clutch cable cover on the transmission and check the status of the TOB.

Last edited:

greenflash00

Established Member
Thanks guys. I hadn't heard before on a TOB bearing but I see it's common lol. New one going in this weekend and then back at it. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread