Help diagnose possible trans. issue, please

Kornilov

Established Member
The car had the tranny replaced around 6k miles on the odo in Jan 2013. In June 2013, at about 8K miles, the trans was pulled again for an input shaft bearing. Car now has 16.5K on it.

The symptoms I'm experiencing have been persistent since the second trans service but seem to be worsening over the last 6 months/6k miles. These are the issues with the car:

I.) taking off from a stop, in 1st gear, letting out the clutch with light throttle (especially if on an incline such as at an uphill stoplight) the front of the trans will emit a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise

II.) sometimes sitting at idle, in N, moving the shifter to different gears will produce loud clanking noises - like a guy hitting the side of a ship with a dead blow hammer

III.) once the car warms up to operating temperature, or after an agressive series of shifts/downshifts, follow on shifts/downshifts in regular driving produce loud clank/clunk noises

I was under the car recently and shook the driveshaft to see if I could replicate some of the noise I hear when driving. I heard the noise and as I followed the noise up to the front of the car, I could hear the internals of the trans clanking as I move the driveshaft to transmission flange with my hand using small back and forth motions. I mean its distinct and noticeable clank clank noise.

Ive driven two other 6spd Coyotes before and this isnt normal drivetrain clunk. 8k miles ago when the tech had my trans. out he said the clutch looked good with no noticeable wear. I still have about 9 months on the 5/60 drivetrain warranty so it will go back in for this, but Ive lost faith in the dealership closes to me from their quality of work on previous occasions.

I just wanted to know what the braintrust here thought before I take it in and have them say its 'normal operating noise'. Just to be safe, Im going to pull the Steeda tri-ax, and barton single post so they dont have any excuses to point to. The previous owner had a CHE UCA with OEM mount on the car, but I checked the pinion angle with the tires loaded and it comes right out to -2. None of my others mods have contributed to this as theses issues existed when the car was bone stock.

draxxus131

Established Member
Most of the noise can be attributed to the shift forks and stop, along with an input shaft that is not clearanced correctly.

Kornilov

Established Member
Most of the noise can be attributed to the shift forks and stop, along with an input shaft that is not clearanced correctly.

Given my symptoms above, do you think this was just a result of improper work by the tech when I had my input shaft bearing replaced or are you saying its because of the MT-82 design?

Kornilov

Established Member
Screw it. Im going to annoy the dealer for the next few months to try to get it fixed before my 5/60 warranty runs out. Once thats done and if the dealer hasnt fixed it, Im pulling the thing and taking it straight to Rev Auto for a rebuild.

Bignasty321

Established Member
Stick

Any stick car poses its own problems and noises.mt82 is more clunky and make some noise but it's just how it is.if u want butter get a ls car with a t56 tranny those shift good IMO. But if ur car goes in gear and dosent lock u out under load at high rpms .imwoukdnt even worry about its try and drive and 833 4 speed chrysler...lol gear whine and isn't like butter but a lot of fun....just have fun and treat her good ur car is fine just enjoy her. My bro has been to the dealer so many times I think he hears Imaginary stuff because he focuses on noises so much. IF u want no noise get a m3 BMW. Mustangs are loud and clunky it's how they are especially after u go solid bushings in the suspension

Kornilov

Established Member
Any stick car poses its own problems and noises.mt82 is more clunky and make some noise but it's just how it is.if u want butter get a ls car with a t56 tranny those shift good IMO. But if ur car goes in gear and dosent lock u out under load at high rpms .imwoukdnt even worry about its try and drive and 833 4 speed chrysler...lol gear whine and isn't like butter but a lot of fun....just have fun and treat her good ur car is fine just enjoy her. My bro has been to the dealer so many times I think he hears Imaginary stuff because he focuses on noises so much. IF u want no noise get a m3 BMW. Mustangs are loud and clunky it's how they are especially after u go solid bushings in the suspension

This is my 3rd Mustang GT (96, 99, and now 2011). In addition Ive drive a base 2011 GT, 2014GT, and trackpack 2014GT, and Im totally fine with a clunk and thud due to regular driveline noise. This is not regular driveline noise - its something abnormal, otherise I wouldnt be stressing the about it because Im not the type of guy to worry about that kind of stuff unless it leads me to believe its a precursor to future problems.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
This is my 3rd Mustang GT (96, 99, and now 2011). In addition Ive drive a base 2011 GT, 2014GT, and trackpack 2014GT, and Im totally fine with a clunk and thud due to regular driveline noise. This is not regular driveline noise - its something abnormal, otherise I wouldnt be stressing the about it because Im not the type of guy to worry about that kind of stuff unless it leads me to believe its a precursor to future problems.

Kornilov,

I'm happy to lend you a hand. Send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll take a look.

Ashley

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member

There's nothing worse than someone telling you that you're "imagining" the problem..... you must be a Ford tech

OP already stated he's driven others and knows what the normal mt-82 issues/sounds are. Growling from the input shaft is not normal. Keep at the dealer OP... warranty it while you can!

Kornilov

Established Member
There's nothing worse than someone telling you that you're "imagining" the problem..... you must be a Ford tech

No, he's probably a Service Manager. :lol:

Yeah, Im going to keep at it until its fixed or my warranty runs out. For the longest time, I kept telling myself that 'its normal, I just got a noisy one' but after having driven multiple MT82s and having all kinds of people tell me my car doesnt sound good, I want to get things fixed once and for all.

Kornilov

Established Member
To update this thread...

Took my car in 2 weeks ago to the dealer, their 'Mustang guy' confirmed that my driveline was noisy as balls and after further diagnosis determined that the rear end was a mess. I got a rear end rebuild covered under warranty. I did have to pay out of pocket to have the gearshift level assembly replaced (the remote set up on the MT-82 that mates the shifter to the transmission) but I figured that since they had helped me out on the warranty work, I would let them have some gravy with the shifter assembly.

Long story short, the car now sounds and drives like a regular Mustang. :dancenana:

There is still a little bit of extra noise that the tech (and I agree with him) attributes to the POS CHE upper control arm that the previous owner had installed - but I will address that shortly once Im moved into my new place next month.

I just wanted to give kudos to my NEW dealer - Tedd Britt Ford in Fairfax, VA and their competent, professional, and fair service folks.

Also, thanks Ashley for getting the ball rolling. It turned out there was no need to involved Ford Cust. service, but I do appreciate the effort on your end.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
To update this thread...

Took my car in 2 weeks ago to the dealer, their 'Mustang guy' confirmed that my driveline was noisy as balls and after further diagnosis determined that the rear end was a mess. I got a rear end rebuild covered under warranty. I did have to pay out of pocket to have the gearshift level assembly replaced (the remote set up on the MT-82 that mates the shifter to the transmission) but I figured that since they had helped me out on the warranty work, I would let them have some gravy with the shifter assembly.

Long story short, the car now sounds and drives like a regular Mustang. :dancenana:

There is still a little bit of extra noise that the tech (and I agree with him) attributes to the POS CHE upper control arm that the previous owner had installed - but I will address that shortly once Im moved into my new place next month.

I just wanted to give kudos to my NEW dealer - Tedd Britt Ford in Fairfax, VA and their competent, professional, and fair service folks.

Also, thanks Ashley for getting the ball rolling. It turned out there was no need to involved Ford Cust. service, but I do appreciate the effort on your end.
This is great news, Kornilov! Thank you for the update and the kind words about Ashley. ;-)

Deysha

Users who are viewing this thread