Help! Cobra died and won't start or run KOEO test????

delvin.a

Established Member
I was cruising to work sunday and my 93 just stopped running out of nowhere. The check engine light came on when it died.

Once I got it home I tried to pull the codes but it won't even start the test. Also the fuel pump is no longer priming when I turn the key to the run position.

The car has a T-trim, 42lbs'ers, SCT chip, 255 in tank and a Vortech booster pump.

neither pump is running btw. I'v searched for loose grounds and found none, I swapped the two relays under the intake tube with no luck.

Any ideas? I'm plum out.

Is the SCT chip not allowing it to run tests? Or rather the tune in the chip maybe???

I doubt both relay's went out at the same time, are they both fuel pump relay's? I thought one was the WOT AC cut-off.

Any help, suggestions are welcomed. I would like to take care of this myself but I have a great auto elec. guy that can look at it.

WillyB93

Established Member
Well besides all the aftermarket stuff are you running a stock ignition control module??? Mounted on the side of the distributor. If so i would take that off and have it tested several times, at your local parts store. It does take a special tool for removal, which can be bought at a local parts store. The module controls the pump spark and relays information to the computer.

delvin.a

Established Member
Should've included that I've swapped distributors with a known working one with no results

And thank you for the response

red95gts

Established Member
Turn the key to the "On" position. Does your "Check Engine" light flash 4 times?

If not, your EEC (computer) isn't initializing. I would take a look at the EEC power relay as well as the computer yourself. The fuel pump relay is controlled by the computer, so that's why it isn't working. The booster pump is more than likely wired to trigger off the activation of the in-tank so that makes sense, too.

You might try taking the SCT chip out to make sure it's not holding the EEC in a reset state.

Good Luck!

delvin.a

Established Member
It doesn't flash at all, kinda dim actually. I'll take a look at the relay and computer this afternoon.

Thanks

delvin.a

Established Member
I'll check em again I didn't fully investigate them earlier. Thanks.

Man I hope it's not the computer. If I buy an a9l at the parts store I'm gonna have to re-tune it since it's got the cobra ecu? If that's the case I'll do my cam swap, pulley and injectors

buddha93

Established Member
I'd pull the chip also. It would be more likely the SCT chip fried or wiggled loose before the factory EEC went south. It they chip isn't working properly, it will cause the pump not to prime.

buddha93

Established Member
Just pull the kick panel out to access the EEC. The chip will be on the back of it. You'll have to pull the case apart to unplug in for the port correctly. If everything comes back to life, then you know it was the chip.

delvin.a

Established Member
Oh okay I tried pulling very lightly on it but it didn't move so I stopped. I'll take it apart today.

How do I know which relay is the fuel relay and which is the a/c relay? If that's what the other is.

Any yips on getting the EEC relay out? It's way up inside I can't get a good hold to pull the relay off.

delvin.a

Established Member
Also I tried to trick the pump into coming on with the jumper trick ( top right with the triangle shape up or down?) neither way worked.

WillyB93

Established Member
You might want to check your fuel pump cut off switch in the rear hatch area under the panel by your left tail light it may have messed up or shut off!

delvin.a

Established Member
I would have an update but the battery died ( left the hatch popped open) so I'm waiting on the charger.

WillyB93

Established Member
I don't ever recall these going bad, just may have to reset the button on it. These were installed to keep fuel from pumping after a rear-end wreck if they weren't installed could make it a fiery mess.

delvin.a

Established Member
I tried pushing the red reset however it was already down. I've swapped one of the relay's with a new one and I'll put a new one on the other this afternoon.

What is the best way to check the fused links? I see them and they look okay (whatever that's worth). I don't wanna just go cutting or splicing into wires.

WillyB93

Established Member
The object of checking them is to see if you have power on both sides of the fusible link. The best thing to do is take a test light or a voltage tester and poke each side of the fusible link with the key on to see if you have power on both sides on the fusible link. If you have power on both sides they should be good.

buddha93

Established Member
If they aren't burned through, then more than likely they are OK.

Have you got to the EEC yet?

Users who are viewing this thread