Help buying a bench vise

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out what bench vise to get and what size?

I've found some vintage Craftsman ones that have been redone. I like the looks of it, but at only 3 1/2" I'm not sure if it would be good enough?

I don't do a crazy amount of heavy work with them. Plan on mounting it on this workbench on the front right corner.

Any advice and experience with good ones is appreciated!
IMG_20210523_065348155.jpg
IMG_20210523_071000339.jpg
Screenshot_20210526-084744.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

mariusvt

Established Member
I have a hand me down Wilton Machinists vice, I think 5 1/2" or 6" width that's a really nice piece. This image is about the vintage of mine, but mine is well loved and looks no where near this nice.
IMG_3169.jpg

I have another, that come to think of it may also be a wilton but I can't remember at the moment.. that is similar footprint to that craftsman you linked above.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
No way you are a car guy with a garage like that.... lol!

Keep your eye out for a good American made one someone is getting rid of and not necessarily a vintage one unless you see one you really like and are oaky paying the going rate.. Lots of China these days, stuff that isn't worth the effort.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
No way you are a car guy with a garage like that.... lol!

Keep your eye out for a good American made one someone is getting rid of and not necessarily a vintage one unless you see one you really like and are oaky paying the going rate.. Lots of China these days, stuff that isn't worth the effort.
LoL thank you!

I definitely want a made in USA one. I'll keep my eyes open. I've also thought about a vice stand so I don't have to drill into the workbench.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Brady, I have an old Craftsman swivel vise from around 1975. I'm about to toss it because I don't need/use it. If you were local, I'd just give it to you.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

That's a fun watch, and gives decent info on the strength of some of them.

FWIW, I have a new Wilton WS8. I like the size and I don't treat my vises like that guy does. It works for me.

coposrv

Established Member
I have Wilton, reed and Columbia bench vises and, Kurt and a Bridgeport for my mill. All ranging from 5-3.5” they’re awesome, old as hell and work great but no way I would pay the prices guys seem to be getting for them. For a larger 6” bench vise on the cheap I’d try a harbor freight. For the price of a similar new Wilton you can replace it a quite a few times. In my opinion if your looking to hold fairly tight tolerance on a machine yup you get what you pay for but for a bench vise.....eh

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a Yost FSV-7 off Amazon Warehouse for $130 when they phased them out. It’s been great, still tight and alignment true, adjustable gibs are a plus. Ridgid had essentially the same as well but don’t know if they swapped over to cast iron like the Yost ADI series did from the FSV. I prefer the forged, easier to repair if something does ever break.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a hand me down Wilton Machinists vice, I think 5 1/2" or 6" width that's a really nice piece. This image is about the vintage of mine, but mine is well loved and looks no where near this nice.
View attachment 1705223

I have another, that come to think of it may also be a wilton but I can't remember at the moment.. that is similar footprint to that craftsman you linked above.
Yup!

E

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I never knew you could drop north of a 1k on a vise until recently

Glad i have my 70 year old beast still lol

They’re like anvils, for quality US built you’d better be expecting $2-3 per pound minimum.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1705223

Wilton is now made in Chy-na. I’m looking for a vice to hold my gun jig.

mariusvt

Established Member
Wilton is now made in Chy-na. I’m looking for a vice to hold my gun jig.
Yea, I definitely wouldn't buy a new one from china, but op was looking at vintage Craftsman so plenty of good made in the USA vintage vices out there for reasonable prices.

Users who are viewing this thread