Help buying a bench vise

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Quick snapshot of mine. It's allied brand which I think it was bought from Ernst hardware when they used to be around. I am pretty sure was made in the 80's or so, but still was made in china at that time.

This was my dad's, I got it from when he moved into a retirement home and sold his house.

The stand was made by a neighbor guy (that was a welder) of the house I grew up in.

My dad loved it and used it all the time. It rotates so you can put bars in one side or spin it and clamp the other.
20210526_140225.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I was also thinking maybe using a stand instead of mounting it on the workbench.

I've found a few brands like Dunlap, Columbian, and craftsman.

Screenshot_20210526-204101.jpg
Screenshot_20210526-203931.jpg
Screenshot_20210526-203738.jpg
Screenshot_20210526-203852.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Quick snapshot of mine. It's allied brand which I think it was bought from Ernst hardware when they used to be around. I am pretty sure was made in the 80's or so, but still was made in china at that time.

This was my dad's, I got it from when he moved into a retirement home and sold his house.

The stand was made by a neighbor guy (that was a welder) of the house I grew up in.

My dad loved it and used it all the time. It rotates so you can put bars in one side or spin it and clamp the other.View attachment 1705273

Sent from my SM-G991U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
That looks like mine. I have no clue how old it is. I think it was my grandfather's first. My dad had it and decided to down size so I grabbed it. I've had it about 25 years.
8ba2c15fca72167ebd9238a067d67cd9.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member
What type of use will the vise get?

We did driveshaft repair,
Vise may have to hold a 100lb item than be banged on with a 4lb sledge

We had a monster vise ,
Once than gave in we switched to snap on vise ,,these we ok had some issues with it holding and tightening when it got dirty, but snap on came weekly and would fix when needed,

Our bench was about 2000lb 4x6 top all steel and h beam legs.

This would still move around on some jobs

Fat Boss

Established Member
The bigger the better. You can almost always do a small job in a big vice, but not vice versa. Keep an eye on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. I would think a hundred bucks would buy you a nice used one.

I have a fairly large vice that wasn't so easy to open and close. I ran the handle all the way out, which allowed me to clean the screw. Once cleaned and greased, the vice works like new.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a smaller cheapo vise at my garage. It has worked fine for the stuff I used it for. Never had to use it for heavy duty work.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
They don't really provide any colored pictures and who makes them? China?

The heavy duty bench vice is made in the USA, but not sure if you are looking to spend that kind of money. And they sell paint LOL

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The heavy duty bench vice is made in the USA, but not sure if you are looking to spend that kind of money. And they sell paint LOL
Not really for what I'll do with it. LoL.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Unless you're using the vise for modeling or extremely small jobs, the vise needs to be mounted on a firm base or heavy enough to sustain it's own balance. That's why you see them on bumpers of service trucks. If the stand is 500 lbs it can still flip over, and screw up some surrounding stuff.

Get at least a 6inch
20210527_173812.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

awful knawful

Established Member
Get a new one guaranteed for life.

I have a 5/6" from Canadian tire. It split in two pressing in an ATV bearing.

Brought back, new one no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread