HELP BEFORE I BURN IT TO THE GROUND

crazyespn

Established Member
How many miles on motor and what oil pressure (using mechanical gauge) Hot and Cold. The factory idot gauge doesnt tell you anything other than that there is some pressure but not how much.

Sounds like high mileage piston slap or piston pin and/or low oil pressure to me. Nobody here can really diagnose it without car in front of them. Also still need a compression check.
Oil pressure and compression good. If it was piston slap or wrist pin, when we shut every cyclinder down the piston making the noise when it was shit down should of stopped

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FIREBALL

Established Member
Sounds like a knock instead of a tic. Check the oil for bearing material.
Either way, I'd pull the motor an tear it down. Not a healthy noise.

+1

Time to rebuild, the motor is probably worn out-----OP says oil pressure and compression is good but doesnt say what they actually are. The factory guage doesnt show what the actual pressure is (Hot or Cold) and thinking compression must be good and actually taking the readings are two different things.

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
video tape it if you do decide to blow it up. that would be a good watch at work.

ImaSnake

Established Member

Assuming you have not burned it to the ground yet (please share if you do!), here is what I am talking about. A lot of people put dynamat on the exposed part instead of replacing the plate = boom, problem solved. 17$ attempt might be better than tearing the whole engine apart. Just my 2 cents

ImaSnake

Established Member
Some people also physically bent the separator plate away from the flywheel by removing the bottom two bolts first.

Again, assuming this is your issue.

FIREBALL

Established Member
How many miles on motor and what oil pressure (using mechanical gauge) Hot and Cold. The factory idot gauge doesnt tell you anything other than that there is some pressure but not how much.

Sounds like high mileage piston slap or piston pin and/or low oil pressure to me. Nobody here can really diagnose it without car in front of them. Also still need a compression check.

You are a newbie here and seems you dont want to take anybodys guesses, but until you get a professional diagnose it will be all guesses from everyone here especially because you will not address all the specific questions. For me I will stick with my guess which is a worn out engine with rod and/or piston noise. Tell us about your Shelby, what year and what mods. ---- oh and welcome to this forum.

crazyespn

Established Member
You are a newbie here and seems you dont want to take anybodys guesses, but until you get a professional diagnose it will be all guesses from everyone here especially because you will not address all the specific questions. For me I will stick with my guess which is a worn out engine with rod and/or piston noise. Tell us about your Shelby, what year and what mods. ---- oh and welcome to this forum.
I am taking every ones opinion. Taken it to a Ford dealership and two independent mechanics and no one can find it. New to the forum not new to the stang game. My shelby is another subject. Not a discussion for this thread. Appreciate your input.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If you really can't figure out where its coming from I'd be real tempted to drop the trans (remove flywheel, that plate etc...) and fire it up

ImaSnake

Established Member

I did not want to start a duplicate post since our sounds are twinkies (01 cobra). Mine is 1000% coming from the tranny.

TOB, and what I suspect is a warped spacer plate.

Even found the TSB if OP wants proof

Users who are viewing this thread