Help! Bad TOB?

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Ok, I've had this kind of high pitched squeeling noise recently when my clutch pedal is out. If I put light pressure on the pedal, it goes away. It seems to be pretty constant and I believe from reading other posts that my TOB is bad. What does this mean? I'm not too educated on clutches/trannys, so any help would be appreciated. Will this hurt my tranny/clutch? How expensive is it to replace a throw out bearing? How difficult is it? I had a new tranny installed under warranty at about 6000 miles or so. I installed the Steeda double hook clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster a couple hundred miles later (I was having trouble with my clutch not totally disengaging from the factory) and I seem to remember first hearing the noise around this time. The car now has 9500 miles. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting anything by driving the car. The clutch and tranny are working perfectly. I've only had one missed shift since I installed the firewall adjuster and quadrant, and that was my own stupidity. Anyway, I would also like to know how to go about installing a new TOB and some approximate TOB prices. I want to know if it is something I should try to tackle myself. I hope you all will pardon my ignorance, because as I said, I'm not very educated on trannys and clutches. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Ok, so am I hurting anything by continuing to drive my car? Installing a new TOB may be beyond my mechanical abilities, but I'll talk to my friend first before I decide to take it to a shop. He has done a couple clutches. Also, I read something about TOB-eating T-56s. Could this be my problem? What are other causes of TOBs going bad? If I install a new TOB (or have a new one installed) and it goes bad, I'm going to assume that I have a TOB-eating T-56. Is there a way to fix this beyond buying a new tranny? Thanks for all the help thus far guys. That howstuffworks.com helped some.

P.S.: Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for having the dealer or other shop install a new TOB?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by svt46sc
Ok, so am I hurting anything by continuing to drive my car? Installing a new TOB may be beyond my mechanical abilities, but I'll talk to my friend first before I decide to take it to a shop. He has done a couple clutches. Also, I read something about TOB-eating T-56s. Could this be my problem? What are other causes of TOBs going bad? If I install a new TOB (or have a new one installed) and it goes bad, I'm going to assume that I have a TOB-eating T-56. Is there a way to fix this beyond buying a new tranny? Thanks for all the help thus far guys. That howstuffworks.com helped some.

P.S.: Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for having the dealer or other shop install a new TOB?
I had the TOB sqeel on my 98 for at least a year before I got it fixed. I replaced it with a Timkin bearing from AutoZone instead of the Ford version. I was using the Steeda Quadrant, UPR Firewall adjuster and stock cable (installed just befor the TOB was replaced). IMO, the stock quadrant is responsible (at least in part) for the squeel. It is designed to keep the TOB turning with the pedal out and in neutral (or any gear for that matter). The F/W adjuster can be set so the TOB does not engage the clutch fingers. That will give it more life.

As for cost, well the tranny has to come off, and if you have much milage on the clutch, I'd replace it as well while the tranny is off. Figure 4 to 5 hours of labor at a shop (around here, that's $250 - 300). Your milage may be different.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
I just had mine replaced by the dealership under warrenty...

Since you dont want to do it yourself...make them do it... I did...

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
First of all the TOB isn't probably the only thing wrong with the clutch. Take it to your svt dealer and have them look at the bearing retainer on the front of the trans. Right now the only fix availible is to replace the trans and clutch assembly. Do not just have the TOB replaced it will not solve the problem.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
First of all the TOB isn't probably the only thing wrong with the clutch. Take it to your svt dealer and have them look at the bearing retainer on the front of the trans. Right now the only fix availible is to replace the trans and clutch assembly. Do not just have the TOB replaced it will not solve the problem.

I'm not doubting that you know what you're talking about, but how exactly can you be sure that the TOB isn't the only thing wrong with my car? Just curious. The clutch seems to work perfectly and I'm not having any problems other than the noise. Are you maybe suggesting that I have one of the TOB-eating T-56s?

P.S.: I appreciate the help everybody.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member

That's all they did on mine. I'll be out of the 12000 mile range when it starts making noise again but I have a full 12k/12 month from the mileage and date of the install and I'm sure if it'll do it again it will happen before I reach that mile stone.

:burnout:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
I have personally replaced 6 Transmissions and clutches for this exact concern. We have been in contact with Ford and have shown our Ford field service engineer the problem. My shop foreman figured out the problem and with the FSE's help ford should have a fix soon. The other problem is that there are no service parts availibe from tremec for the t56. We have had to put trans in for just a rear tailshaft seal leaking. That's a 35.00 part takes about and hour to replace but we had to replace a trans for it.

Last edited:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I have personally replaced 6 Transmissions and clutches for this exact concern. We have been in contact with Ford and have shown our Ford field service engineer the problem. My shop foreman figured out the problem and with the FSE's help ford should have a fix soon. The other problem is that there are no service parts availibe from tremec for the t56. We have had to put trans in for just a rear tailshaft seal leaking. That's a 35.00 part takes about and hour to replace but we had to replace a trans for it.

I somehow doubt they'll replace my tranny and clutch after I've installed the double hook quadrant and firewall adjuster, though. I know my dealership. They will take one look at that stuff and send me packing. I think I'm going to try to get the TOB replaced and see how it does. It is possible that the tranny is not the reason for the TOB going bad. I'm no expert by any means, but TOBs can go bad for other reasons too, right? Thanks again.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
...but TOBs can go bad for other reasons too, right? Thanks again.

Crappy, non-american parts, gotta love cheap labor and materials.

:shrug:

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
I somehow doubt they'll replace my tranny and clutch after I've installed the double hook quadrant and firewall adjuster, though. I know my dealership. They will take one look at that stuff and send me packing. I think I'm going to try to get the TOB replaced and see how it does. It is possible that the tranny is not the reason for the TOB going bad. I'm no expert by any means, but TOBs can go bad for other reasons too, right? Thanks again. [/QUOT
E]
They have to be able to prove that those mods caused your problem. I would highly doubt that adding those parts is causing the TOB problem.

Users who are viewing this thread