Help a newb SVT Focus owner!

barrett_g

Established Member
Okay... So I just bought a 2004 SVT EAP Focus to use as a daily while I mod my lightning. It made the 3 hour trip just fine (except for a terrible vibration that I've decided is a couple bad motor mounts).

C8E59B43-5628-4E3E-A748-C44DBC21252B_zpsx9xjwemt.jpg

The previous owner was very upfront about the car and seemed to be pretty trustworthy. Even took the time to mail me the SVT certificate and another set of keys he forgot to bring to the sell.

The car has 117k on the clock... And he assured me the timing belt was replaced 20k ago. Does this look like a trustworthy timing belt or do you think I should change it just to be safe?

99BAFCEF-1538-4E7B-8C46-0EB25437DF5E_zps21ftu2ki.gif

Also... Seems that thing Focus has the usual thermostat housing leak. I read that I need a contour assembly? Is that true? I also so that CFM makes a redesigned assembly. Which one is better?

5ED925FD-E262-40CD-B53A-9B8BC21C77D4_zpsg946ma8q.gif

Good news is I seem to have a poly dog bone already installed (never mind the coolant everywhere).... Bad news is I seem to have a axle leak.

520583E2-7032-437A-B7C5-05AEC8918364_zps7ooq8onk.gif

What does it take to fix the axle leak? The passenger side looks like it's starting to as well. I've never owned a FWD car so I'm a little unfamiliar with this setup.

Also... Where are the how-to articles? I tried to buy a Haynes or a chilton's book but they don't include SVT specific stuff. I can't find a dedicated how-to forum.... Seems I get a lot of regular and ST stuff mixed in with the SVT stuff.

Thanks for any help!!!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Axles are easy and the haynes manual even for the regular focus should give plenty detail.
Basically remove axle nut, drop lower ball joint and swing spindle to the side and pull on the axle and replace with new or reman unit.
Not worth trying to rebuild and reboot yourself.
Just did mine for around $120 or so.

The belt looks pretty good.
The thermostat housing I'm not sure about.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The thermostat housing should be the same for the SVT and the ZX3. RH-122 or RH-154 are the part numbers that cross reference in the Motorcraft catalog under the SVTF tab.

As for the axle seal leaks. Easy as all can be. Shouldnt take more than an hour per side.

MCPunk79

Established Member
Awesome! Thanks guys! I have Steve@Tasca ordering the parts for me now!

Just keep Steve's contact info and he'll hook you up with ANYTHING SVT Focus related. He's the master guru for the SVT Focus, and he actually came up with the new thermostat housing you discussed. The car appears in good condition, keep it that way and it will provide everything you need.

Steve@Tasca

The thermostat housing should be the same for the SVT and the ZX3. RH-122 or RH-154 are the part numbers that cross reference in the Motorcraft catalog under the SVTF tab.

As for the axle seal leaks. Easy as all can be. Shouldnt take more than an hour per side.

Stat housings are not the same, the Zetec doesn't have a sensor in the top. The Contour housing is a much better design than the stock SVT housing. Much stronger and less prone to leaking.

-Steve

SVTFocus Noob

Established Member
Get the SVTF stat housing, I got mine from Oreilly 4 years ago no problems since. As for axles where are they leaking from? The Getrag itself or the boot? Your belt looks newish from the pic. If leaking from trans get the seals from CFM, under drivetrain component section, if axle boots get whole new axles. CFM's reinforced are good if you plan to build car after you lightning is done or just do rock auto ones for maint, up to you.

Jake

Users who are viewing this thread