Hellion turbo kit VS whipple 2.9 Kit

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
The "VIDEO" does NOT stablish any conclusive evidence on that TT are better than SC. Intead you should ask yourself. Did those Vettes had any more than TTs?. I bet you all I got in the bank right now they do. And like most GM guys do they don't show it. I bet they both had their motors done to stand 1300+ HP. If you want to run with them all you need is a call to MM or Livernoise and they will sell you a short block with that capability. Then buy a 4.0L Whipple or a KB and then lets talk. That poor guy on the FGT got run down because he did not go prepare, I bet all he had was the Whipple on his stock motor. No wonder he got taken. But remember even Funny Cars and Pro Stock runs SCs. To me is a matter of how far you wanna go and what's your goal. If you wanna beat those Vettes you don't need to go TT. Ask any body reputable enough for advise. But TT are a complicated issue that you don't need to see real numbers on the Dyno. IMO I would go SC. If you think that TT are gonna do the magic, you are only dreaming. There is a lot more involve than bolting on a huffer into the equation. If you bild a nice motor either one will do the job right. Just my 2cents

Last edited:

ctozzi

Established Member
i have the hellion kit, if i could do it all over again i'd do the TT kit. I love the turbos and the blower, but the kit has its flaws and they are hard to remedy. I have had to spend extra $$ getting things made and tuned for it to run and stay together. The toughest thing for tuners to do is tune it and get it to run right. All in all it works as advertised and sounds ridiculous when you take a buddy for a ride, and the power is also crazy but just be informed of the other things you might and will probably need to have done after the initial install.
Side note:
john and jeff are class acts and helped me through my install and the issues i had to get it tuned. I your looking for a bolt on and go, i'd say go with the whipple. if you want something different and something that gets peoples attention than get the hellion kit. Mine is NOT a daily driver and I have 3" bassani cats to make it emissions legal. Every single person that i've taken for a ride have said hands down that's the baddest car i've ever ridden in. I have had many KB cobras and Hellion GT's in the past. If its a daily driver i would go whipple or KB. Best of luck in your decision, if you need some help or answers feel free to email me.
Chris

Last edited:

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
I had the same dilemma. I went whipple 2.9 and for me it was the correct choice. Here are my reason.

1. Simple up grade to a Whipple. It can be done in a few hours in one day.True but you have to buy a new pulley ever time you want more boost, turbo just turn it up But turning it up beyond 750hp on a stock bottom isn't that smart plus the boost controller isn't exactly free either. And you have to admit the Hellion takes more time to install than a 2.9 does.

2, Reliable So is the turbo, ask Tony (thebull) 1100rwhp and drives like stock I'm aware of Tony's success with his BUILT engine and I rode in Gearhead's Hellion GT 500 which did preform a lot like stock until you stepped on it. And that was before I decided on the 2.9 which also preforms like stock until I step on it. The bottom line FOR ME is the Hellion kit is pretty complicated with extra intercooler, oil pump, oil tubing, piping, air breathers, and TURBOS. More parts to break while the 2.9 basically has the about same amount of things to go wrong as a stock Eaton. So the car isn't a lot more complicated than stock

3. Does not add to the complication of the car. No two extra turbos no oil pumps no air intakes very low to the ground to suck up water like it did to Sargent. True also but dont drive it threw water, not a boat lol Well I got caught in high water in Fort Worth not by choice and I can assure you that if the intakes were where they are on the Hellion kit for me it would have been a problem. But that is Texas weather. I try to avoid rainy days but that one snuck up on me. :lol:

4. Both the Whipple and the Hellion can make as much hp as a stock block can reliably take.

5. Both can easily make in the 700-750 range. Kinda but youll put more strain on the motor and motor chance of belt slippage Yes the SC does require more HP to turn but how much more than a Eaton plus the exhaust restriction I don't know. But the bottom line is if you want 750 hp out of a 2.9 or a Hellion on a stock block you can do it. I;m making 712 through cats with a 3.25 upper pulley and a stock lower pulley. My belt has never slipped

6. The 2.9 is emissions legal. I have a legal Dallas Texas inspection on my car. The Hellion eliminates the cats. This one is pretty important to me. I don't have to worry about illegal inspection. My car passed with flying colors and Dallas inspection require a dyno run and are pretty tough.

7. No clearance to the ground issues with a 2.9 The whole entire kit is NO lower then the exhaust My 2.9 is NO lower than my Eaton was. The Hellion I looked at and rode in looked a little lower than stock to me. But perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe Tony will clarify.

I will say that the Hellion kit does have the potential to make more horsepower IF you are going to build the engine. I did not want to go that far.

The 2.9 is a ton of fun to drive.

So is the turbo, plus you can get the sleeper effect cause you wont hear the turbos untill your under boost unlike the whipple which you hear more of the whine

Well I can tell you that no one has said: I can hear you have a Whipple in there I don't want to race :lol: GT 500s don't make great sleepers. But most people don't expect the performance that a Whipple will give.

I am sure the Hellion kit performs great and is fun to drive but so does the 2.9

Last edited:

tktlwyr

Established Member
It truly depends on what you're going to use the car for. Is it a racer with a occasional drive down the streets or a daily driver with occasional track time?

If it's a daily driver, a blower upgrade will be more than sufficient. How many 1,200 hp cars do you think are driven daily on the streets? Factor in wear an tear, too. Tony, "thebull", may love his twin turbo set up, but ask him about the breakage and how much money he's got into his car.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
FastOldGuy that's a great point but then again when you buy a muscle car it could never pass as a sleeper. Not like its a family car with a blower on it or something. Your talking about a car known to be a quarter horse in history and leaves the factory blown. Don't think anyone pulls up beside a Cobra looking for an easy victory. However Cobra owners know that there are very few that will run with them stock for stock. Slap on an aftermarket blower and the chest sticks out a bit lol

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
It truly depends on what you're going to use the car for. Is it a racer with a occasional drive down the streets or a daily driver with occasional track time?

If it's a daily driver, a blower upgrade will be more than sufficient. How many 1,200 hp cars do you think are driven daily on the streets? Factor in wear an tear, too. Tony, "thebull", may love his twin turbo set up, but ask him about the breakage and how much money he's got into his car.

A lot of money and a lot of breakage....but I also doubt anybody is going to race and much as I do. Also the power is adjustable. I've never even driven the car with 1200....It's just cool to have it.

My car is an exception to the rule...there are plenty of ttgt500 that are daily drivers and the guys love them too.

The tires can barely take 800rwhp much less 1200rwhp.

I would agree with the blower upgrade for a daily driver....but the turbo kit will do the trick too. Again it's personal preference.......

que4dog

Established Member
How did I miss this thread? True it is truly personal preference because both are great. But if I had to do it over again, it would be twin turbo but that's me. The easiest install route is the supercharger route but the turbos are well worth the extra work. As far as tuning, it is not that much more complicated then tuning a supercharger. I actually tune myself with help from Pops but due to Pops time constraints and my work schedule I have elected the help from Dave @ at Motiva Performance because he is great with turbo tuning and much more knowledgeable in getting the best out of the car. I also installed the kit myself and I have absolutely no regrets. There were many good points made for either choice so consider what is best for you. I drive mine every chance I get and I take it to work on occasions. The only thing keeping me from driving daily is that someone would always park their neglected trashed car right next to me...LOL.

Last edited:

blacknlte

Established Member
Either one will get you where you want to be in the hp range, like Tony said its a choice of which you like. Some like the whipple, some turbo, some both!

As for the 500s being sleepers, your right most people know whats up the hood of these cars. BUT most people can tell the difference of the stock sc and a whipple etc... but when you have something that kinda looks like a cold air intake, no room in the engine bay for turbo setup, and the fact most of them think its impossabile to have a twin turbo/sc 500. You can get away with the sleeper, plus alot of the cars around here can run so most of them will take a shot at a 500.

que4dog

Established Member
...the fact most of them think its impossabile to have a twin turbo/sc 500. You can get away with the sleeper, plus alot of the cars around here can run so most of them will take a shot at a 500...

I had that problem a couple of times and after the run they were like wtf!!!

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Either one will get you where you want to be in the hp range, like Tony said its a choice of which you like. Some like the whipple, some turbo, some both!

As for the 500s being sleepers, your right most people know whats up the hood of these cars. BUT most people can tell the difference of the stock sc and a whipple etc... but when you have something that kinda looks like a cold air intake, no room in the engine bay for turbo setup, and the fact most of them think its impossabile to have a twin turbo/sc 500. You can get away with the sleeper, plus alot of the cars around here can run so most of them will take a shot at a 500.

I know what you mean. At a light I asked a 2010 Camaro that had a supercharger badge on it how many horsepower he had. He proudly said: "550hp to the ground, want to race?" After I destroyed him he pulled up next to me and said: "I guess I should have asked how many horsepower you had before I asked if you wanted to race." :lol1: He looked a little shocked when I told it had a little over 700hp. I think he was expecting a stock GT500.

Last edited:

GarageLogic

Established Member
For what its worth, I've had the Hellion TT kit on my daily driven 2010 GT500 (stock motor) for over a year now and I've had not one issue with the system in the 18K miles I've put on the car since installing the system. Drives like stock until you get into it.

My previous car was a 2007 GT500 with the KB 2.8 on it and, like others have said, both the supercharger and the TT kit will provide the performance boost (pardon the pun) you are looking for, so it is just a matter of personal taste.

BigDan

Established Member
If your the type of person that gets bored quick or is always looking for the next best thing then get the Hellion kit because the sky is the limit at the push of a button vs pulley sway's, aftermarket hoods, slipping belt's, special motor mounts, and firewall modifications if you want increase the boost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread