Heavy duty roof cross bars for Explorer?

bigmoose

Established Member
I have a '13 explorer sport. I have the factory cross bars but they are light duty. I'm looking for a flat steel bar setup with side ears that will clamp to the factory side rails. I'm looking for something heavy duty to hold a ladder and wood from time to time. Anyone have any suggestions?

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I’m pretty sure their whisper bars are exactly what you’re looking for. Outside of those two brands you’ll be hard pressed to find something of quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmoose

Established Member
Yeah. That's what I'm finding. Problem is what I've seen only support 165#s and I'm not sure I trust the side clamps that use straps.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
IMHO if you need to put more than 165 lbs per bar on top of your Explorer, you need a different vehicle. My recollection is that the Explorer has a roof rack limit of 100 lbs, probably due to roll over stability. You're talking about putting more than 330 lb on the roof if your exceeding the weight limit of a 165 pounds per whisper bar. Remember, the Explorer is essentially a lifted Ford Taurus.

bigmoose

Established Member
You make a good point. If the rating is per bar then I might be good. I was thinking it was 165 for the pair. I prefer some headroom with that limit.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I hate explorers with roof rails behind me at night. Always think it’s a cop. They’re almost as bad as seeing the amber marker lights of a crown vic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread