Heater core bypass

Rambro

Established Member
I have coolant coming out of condensation drain. Don't want to tackle this job just yet. Any special tools needed to take the lines off the heater core? Or any tips to make the job easier?

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
probably need a few swear words on those push lock fittings but not sure what your options are to join em together without cutting the ends off

Rambro

Established Member
Yeah so far I've read that folks got them off by hand, some say they rented a tool to disconnect them. I'm counting on it being a pita lol. But it has to be better than taking apart the dash.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
I didnt have much trouble getting mine off. But I was never able to find a way to tie them together. Ended up just replacing the core.

Rambro

Established Member
I didnt have much trouble getting mine off. But I was never able to find a way to tie them together. Ended up just replacing the core.
I'm going to use a hose from Napa #10743 to join them together. Not looking forward to replacing the core. Did it on my 89 lx so I already know that pain.

Rambro

Established Member
Actually I'm doing to try a 5/8 to 3/4 coupler and just connect the two hoses.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I took both hoses off and put in a safe place

ran a hose from tube to tube

but I think plugging both ends would have worked also

I had a long hose to make bends that did't pinch

when I did do core
it only took about 4 hours
I only pulled dash back instead of full removal

jrichber

browser
Established Member
I'm going to use a hose from Napa #10743 to join them together. Not looking forward to replacing the core. Did it on my 89 lx so I already know that pain.

Post up some results if you get it done. Problem with the hoses is finding a way to work with the clips on them. Unless you just cut the clip ends off.

Rambro

Established Member
Post up some results if you get it done. Problem with the hoses is finding a way to work with the clips on them. Unless you just cut the clip ends off.
Had to cut the ends off. The large hose has alot of bends and is difficult to work with, hope I can get it sealed up properly.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Had to cut the ends off. The large hose has alot of bends and is difficult to work with, hope I can get it sealed up properly.

these are hard to find hoses

both of these hoses have a clamp on the other end

removing the vacuum hose harness opens it up

not fun but doable
spring clamp tool would be nice

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I used an explorer 5.0 coolant bypass hose which is 5/8 to 3/4 and is pre bent with a 90deg angle, to a barb fitting and a small piece of hose to the tube by the valley.

This was on my 2v though so may not be apples to apples with a 4v.

Rambro

Established Member
these are hard to find hoses

both of these hoses have a clamp on the other end

removing the vacuum hose harness opens it up

not fun but doable
spring clamp tool would be nice
Most things on these cars are becoming hard to find. Two of the three mustangs I've owned have had heater core failures. Its a piss poor design and I don't want to do all that work when there's a good chance it could all happen again. I don't drive the car in the winter anyways.

notagt

Established Member
Sorry to revive, but yesterday I had car up on jackstand on drivers side. Car was running while burping about 30 minutes and temp was about 181. Out of nowhere, COLD water started pouring out passenger side rear about even with firewall. While burping had heater on full blast, it wasn't coolant since level never dropped and after shutting off car, rain shower stopped. If it was heater core or lines, wouldn't leak be hot water? If I need to bypass heater core, has anyone found a kit that just plugs into the 2 plastic clips removed from heater core going into firewall? Car sat in garage for 2+ years and went for a ride last week with AC on, is it also possible drain line just decided to clear? Leak was like a shower, not a drip..thanks for any replies in advance.

notagt

Established Member
Thanks, especially if water has been there awhile and car jacked on one side let it loose, if this is the DSG I know, good to hear from you.

hotcobra03

Established Member
It may have been overflow from you b
Sorry to revive, but yesterday I had car up on jackstand on drivers side. Car was running while burping about 30 minutes and temp was about 181. Out of nowhere, COLD water started pouring out passenger side rear about even with firewall. While burping had heater on full blast, it wasn't coolant since level never dropped and after shutting off car, rain shower stopped. If it was heater core or lines, wouldn't leak be hot water? If I need to bypass heater core, has anyone found a kit that just plugs into the 2 plastic clips removed from heater core going into firewall? Car sat in garage for 2+ years and went for a ride last week with AC on, is it also possible drain line just decided to clear? Leak was like a shower, not a drip..thanks for any replies in advance.

Did any water/coolant over flow while burping?

Valley drains on rear of engine and has a plug cover thats not water tight

This will trick you.

Heater lines or core would have effected burping processes

notagt

Established Member
It may have been overflow from you b

Did any water/coolant over flow while burping?

Valley drains on rear of engine and has a plug cover thats not water tight

This will trick you.

Heater lines or core would have effected burping processes

notagt

Established Member
Maybe, since what was pouring out car was cold, maybe my funnel seal in crossover was tight and I just didn't notice, now you mention it, I was pouring in more fluid I thought than drained with stat change plus when I was losing ic fluid, I filled tank with water and red food coloring, that was adapter plate gasket which I fixed, thinking now red might have been ic water left over in valley, great replies, gonna crank again now that finished first burp and see what happens. Thank

Users who are viewing this thread