Heat Exchanger

thatdude305

Established Member
Looking to upgrade from my stock one. What is a good one to get and also how hard is it to install. I cant seem to find any videos on YouTube

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Looking to upgrade from my stock one. What is a good one to get and also how hard is it to install. I cant seem to find any videos on YouTube

Just did the Gords HE since he’s a small business, the HE fills the entire valence opening, and is the largest unit. Install is simple and only required a lot of effort if your brackets are rusty and need cleaned up.

223CECED-5346-4E41-8D0B-FC8CFBF27B3C.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

OSU34

Established Member
Why you thinking you should upgrade? In most applications stock does just fine compared to a dual pass unit (unless the stock unit is broken). IMO stick with stock and get a killer chiller.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Venom351R

Established Member
Mine has an Afco Pro, but it was on the car when I got it so I can't add anything as far as how easy or hard it was putting it on.

jdant

Established Member
Why you thinking you should upgrade? In most applications stock does just fine compared to a dual pass unit (unless the stock unit is broken). IMO stick with stock and get a killer chiller.

This reason: AFCO Heat Exchangers are considerably larger than their stock counterparts. This provides a greater surface area and more capacity. AFCO Heat Exchangers reduce supercharger coolant temperatures by more than 40 degrees.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is why @OSU34 suggested the Killer Chiller. It's a popular choice for cooler temps. But personally, I'd go with a larger capacity HE like Gords or AFCO.

thatdude305

Established Member

No Killer Chiller because I live in South Florida and it gets hot and from what people say is that it ****s with your A/C.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
No Killer Chiller because I live in South Florida and it gets hot and from what people say is that it ****s with your A/C.
90+F weather will as the H/E begins sapping the cold fluid. Need to bypass. I bet with the even more efficient upgraded H/E and killer chiller it’s even worse.

CobraSam

Established Member
AFCO here. I installed mine on a lift. Took about 30 min and is about as easy as can be. Didn’t remove my bumper, with a lift at least, I see no point to that at all.

CobraSam

Established Member
I won't have access to a lift

Don’t worry about the lift. Still a very easy job and I still don’t believe you’ll need to remove the front bumper. But don’t quote me. Thinking about it, I really can’t see why it would be necessary to do so. The kit comes with everything you need and it fits extremely well. Good luck.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I installed my Afco dual pass on jack stands with the bumper in place. If you don't pull the bumper then put some blue tape around the opening. Just in case. Mine took a little longer because I sanded and painted the brackets while I was there. Probably took an hour or so including the bleeding.

OSU34

Established Member
This reason: AFCO Heat Exchangers are considerably larger than their stock counterparts. This provides a greater surface area and more capacity. AFCO Heat Exchangers reduce supercharger coolant temperatures by more than 40 degrees.

I don’t know where you’ve read that but there’s absolutely no chance you will reduce temps of the blower fluid by more than 40 degrees with a dual pass- maybe you are referring to one with the dual fans? As someone who’s ran both extensively, I did not see anything significant when comparing the two. UNLESS you are dragging the car. There are a ton of threads on this topic on this site.

OP if you want to go crazy without a KC, get a tubular crash bar, GT500 H/E with a supporting intercooler pump and that will help. There was a thread recently on this topic in the Terminator Talk section.

jdant

Established Member
I don’t know where you’ve read that but there’s absolutely no chance you will reduce temps of the blower fluid by more than 40 degrees with a dual pass- maybe you are referring to one with the dual fans? As someone who’s ran both extensively, I did not see anything significant when comparing the two. UNLESS you are dragging the car. There are a ton of threads on this topic on this site.

OP if you want to go crazy without a KC, get a tubular crash bar, GT500 H/E with a supporting intercooler pump and that will help. There was a thread recently on this topic in the Terminator Talk section.

It was from AFCO's website..

Users who are viewing this thread