Heads are on the way baby!!

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Well I found a place that will do my head and lower intake swap, along with port and polish my new heads for around $1000! I'm going to order the SHM heads tomorrow. With the port and polish I'm hoping to gain up to 70rwhp!:D Damn I'm in a good mood!:beer: :cool: :burnout:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Like I said in a previous post, dude, you're definitely gonna be in Cobra territory with +70 RWHP :-D...gonna need new tires :D

Blackgeetee

Established Member
LOL! Yeah actually I plan on getting slightly wider tires (265/40-17) soon as my current Goodyears are wearing down. As they get nearer to being replaced I'll probably finish them off by liquifying them in burnouts!

Blackgeetee

Established Member
I have two more questions for all you experts out there.

1. I'm concerned that my stock fuel pump won't be able to handle the additional demands put on by the obvious bump in horsepower. Will I need a better/bigger one?

2. What about my computer? Will it just need to be reset, or will I need a chip?

For anyone that has done the headswap an answer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!:)

MeganSue69

Tim's Girl Toy
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
I have two more questions for all you experts out there.

1. I'm concerned that my stock fuel pump won't be able to handle the additional demands put on by the obvious bump in horsepower. Will I need a better/bigger one?

2. What about my computer? Will it just need to be reset, or will I need a chip?

For anyone that has done the headswap an answer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!:)

im an expert... but not at this... ;-)

S

SVTHottie102

Congratulations on getting the heads:) If only I knew what they were for...:read: LoL

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Aww, nobody knows the answers to any of my questions?:-?

Jess, heas are where the valves that let the fuel and air into the engine reside. And in my engines case (SOHC) it's where the cams that open and close the valves reside. Basically my factory ones suck. They have rough and small openings and really starve the engine from it's full potential. The newer heads will flow air and fuel MUCH better (and since I am getting them ported and polished, even better yet) and the engine will really be able to live and breathe, especially with my high flow exhaust. I'm hoping to drop at least a second off the quarter mile time. ;-)

MeganSue69

Tim's Girl Toy
Originally posted by Blackgeetee
Aww, nobody knows the answers to any of my questions?:-?

Jess, heas are where the valves that let the fuel and air into the engine reside. And in my engines case (SOHC) it's where the cams that open and close the valves reside. Basically my factory ones suck. They have rough and small openings and really starve the engine from it's full potential. The newer heads will flow air and fuel MUCH better (and since I am getting them ported and polished, even better yet) and the engine will really be able to live and breathe, especially with my high flow exhaust. I'm hoping to drop at least a second off the quarter mile time. ;-)

that would definitely be sweet... and congrats on your heads... definitely something to be excited about :rolling:

MeganSue69

Tim's Girl Toy
Originally posted by LLoverCrazyJay
I can't wait til i get a lightning, i'll probably get head too! Oh chit, I meant heads.....:-D :lol1:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lol sorry for the whorish post but man i couldnt resist it.... ;-)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Your stock pump should be just fine. The fuel demand isn't increasing, just the cylinder pressure and airflow capability. You may want to go with slightly larger injectors and calibrated matching MAF just to be sure. It won't hurt to get a chip for your mods to optimize their capabilities.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Thanks GR8WHITE! If the airflow capacity increases, wouldn't there be a demand for more fuel?

BTW, do you think I'll have a chance at matching your 13.62 @100 time?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The airflow of the pre 99 heads was astmatic, to say the least. It's like putting a set of GT-40P heads on a 5.0L, you don't have to swap the fuel pump to see the benefits. Granted a different pump,adjustable fuel pressure regulator and dyno tune would be an awesome way to finish off the job.

I don't think you'll have too much learning to do before you get used to seeing those numbers regularly. I do believe your MPH will be higher than mine on the 13.62 pass. Say around 102-103 range? Good luck and knock 'em dead.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread