Headrest upgrade

Jim.C99

Established Member
Hello, all,

I was rear ended last year in my Avalon and walked away with no injury whatsoever. While it was in the shop I drove my mustang. I noticed how poor the headrests are from a safety perspective and want to upgrade to something larger and further forward. Maybe adjustable.

I saw some candidates on CJPonyParts.com. Has anyone installed them or some other upgraded headrest in their New Edge Cobras? I have talked myself into not being comfortable driving it like it is.

I would appreciate any responses.

Jim

FIREBALL

Established Member
I dont know if anybody could come up with a replacement thats to your liking and also being plug and play but, And I know this is probably not what you are looking for but my cobra seats were never comfortable for me so I changed out my seats for Corbeau Seats--- A4 --- and so happy with them====more comfortable and good head support.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Didn't the head rest design change in the later years? I haven't seen an 01 seat in forever. Buy the later ones might be more to your liking.

BadaBing

Let's take a look....
Established Member
The '01 headrests don't offer much more in terms of headrest height when compared to the '99's. I had the same concerns and picked up some halo headrests from a mid 80's Mustang. I have the parchment interior, so I had a local upholstery shop make a cover that pretty closely matched the seats. They worked well, but the '99 seats don't offer much bolstering and support, so I ended up replacing them with the tan racing seats from Summit. The color is a dead on match and have a much higher back/headrest. Unfortunatley I don't have pictures of the modified stock seats as I sold them after installing the seats from Summit.

shurur

Established Member
The '01 headrests don't offer much more in terms of headrest height when compared to the '99's. I had the same concerns and picked up some halo headrests from a mid 80's Mustang. I have the parchment interior, so I had a local upholstery shop make a cover that pretty closely matched the seats. They worked well, but the '99 seats don't offer much bolstering and support, so I ended up replacing them with the tan racing seats from Summit. The color is a dead on match and have a much higher back/headrest. Unfortunatley I don't have pictures of the modified stock seats as I sold them after installing the seats from Summit.

So true...almost any seat is better than the 99 OEM seats...at least the 01 seats would hold you in the seat around corners..

I replaced mine with some "No APC Logo" (Super Race) seats years ago when APC was making them in China for a bit...and redesigned the side bolsters so they can't bend off (mild steel grating replaced with L brackets). Now I live with them.

My upgrade would be the sparco R100...cloth.

Also used Honda S2000 seat prices are coming down....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread