Headlight/Foglight Issue/Question

MissV8der

Established Member
So, having a sudden issue with my headlights and foglights and was hoping someone might have any advice or thoughts on what it might be?

INFO:
* Recently replaced my stock alternator with J2Fab 185a peak unit
* Installed Big 3 Wiring Upgrade
* LED Headlight bulbs
* Foglights are LED Halos from SW-Lights
* Recently installed Clutch quadrant/Firewall adjuster

NOTE: Foglights and Headlights have been on the car for a solid year at least with zero of these problems.

To preface, all lights actually work at some point or the other, so it's not any bulbs or fuses.

> I noticed the other day (after installing the upgraded alternator, but might be completely coincidental) that the foglights come on when they're the only thing on (ie: One pull of the headlight knob). When I pull the headlight knob again for the headlights to come on, the foglights go off (yes, the foglight button is pressed on the center console area/below radio).

> When the brights are on, headlights work, but foglights go off as they're supposed to. However, if you pull in the bright/dim lever; my drivers side headlight goes off and the passenger side headlight stays on.

> Halos on foglights light up orange when the turn signal comes on (as they're supposed to), but don't stay illuminated white like they normally do.

> All turn signals work and light up just fine

No intermittent working or anything, nothing flashes. Just odd behavior of the lights.

I ordered a replacement headlight switch from LMR after doing some research, but I can't seem to find my exact problem. Haven't gotten the switch in, shipping is kinda slow-ish, but thought I would pick some of y'alls brains for help.

I was hoping someone with more electrical knowledge might have some insight or ideas?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
One low beam being out-

Swap the LED bulbs, does the issue follow??? Try halogen bulbs, does the issue persist???

Are you running relay harness/connectors for the headlights or using the stock wiring and connectors??? If an aftermarket harness check all of the pins in all the connectors for any damage/bending or heat damage. If they look fine look at the relay for any heat damage on the housing and the pins.
You can also pull the LED out of the headlight housing (still plugged in) and watch which side illuminates when you go high beam to low beam. High beam should be both sides, low beam one side (should have 2 side firing LED chips on each bulb). Use the functional side as a reference.

I cant help you with the foglights as Im only familiar with the stock system and not halo switchbacks. I would check the pins/relays on those.

And I dont think its your headlight switch.

MissV8der

Established Member
One low beam being out-

Swap the LED bulbs, does the issue follow??? Try halogen bulbs, does the issue persist???

Are you running relay harness/connectors for the headlights or using the stock wiring and connectors??? If an aftermarket harness check all of the pins in all the connectors for any damage/bending or heat damage. If they look fine look at the relay for any heat damage on the housing and the pins.
You can also pull the LED out of the headlight housing (still plugged in) and watch which side illuminates when you go high beam to low beam. High beam should be both sides, low beam one side (should have 2 side firing LED chips on each bulb). Use the functional side as a reference.

I cant help you with the foglights as Im only familiar with the stock system and not halo switchbacks. I would check the pins/relays on those.

And I dont think its your headlight switch.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely swap them around and see what I come up with :)

CJW04Redfire

Established Member
I also just got headlights and fog lights from SW lights. I got the plug and play version of the fog lights so I can't atest to those.
I would say If you got the relay and balst for the halos double check the grounds and pin connections.
My kit is also having issues and I have triple checked my harness/relays.
The lights all come on EXCEPT the high beams do not come on and the fog lights won't stay on...
The high beam light comes on in the dash but they do not change the lights. The only function I have with the high beam switch is when the lights are off. With the lights off I can flash the lights and lock them on also. Even then it is the same as the low beam...
The fog lights come on but my switch in car will not stay on. I have to hold it down for the fog lights to go on. Good luck hope this spurs ideas !

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
FWIW my relay harness was incorrectly pinned for a Mustang and I had to swap 2 pins. If youre lucky its the morimoto harness, just start googling and you should be able to find which wires to swap. You can figure out which ones to swap by looking at the headlight circuit.

If anyone has a schematic for the halo foglight harness post it up and I can take a gander at it and give some suggestions.

MissV8der

Established Member
Update:

Replaced the headlight switch
Screen-Shot-2020-05-12-at-1-14-03-PM.png

and switch connector :

Screen-Shot-2020-05-12-at-1-14-27-PM.png

Still having the issue. I do believe I have narrowed it down, though. I'm replacing the turn signal lever/dimmer switch next. I noticed this morning driving to work that the "brights" indicator light on my dash is lit up when the car is on, and therefore if the car thinks the lights are on bright, the fog lights won't be on. From what I've read, this is probably the issue...so we will see once that's in.

Throwing parts at it, eventually something will fix it....right?! o_O

CJW04Redfire

Established Member
Yeah that's what I am about to do throw some parts at her lol. My head light switch is extremely weird. The pull points are extremely sensitive if that makes sense. It goes from all lights on (side markers and main bulb) to just main bulb or just side markers. All settings are EXTRESMLY close on the pull lever...
Update:

Replaced the headlight switch
View attachment 1640008

and switch connector :

View attachment 1640009

Still having the issue. I do believe I have narrowed it down, though. I'm replacing the turn signal lever/dimmer switch next. I noticed this morning driving to work that the "brights" indicator light on my dash is lit up when the car is on, and therefore if the car thinks the lights are on bright, the fog lights won't be on. From what I've read, this is probably the issue...so we will see once that's in.

Throwing parts at it, eventually something will fix it....right?! o_O

MissV8der

Established Member
Yeah that's what I am about to do throw some parts at her lol. My head light switch is extremely weird. The pull points are extremely sensitive if that makes sense. It goes from all lights on (side markers and main bulb) to just main bulb or just side markers. All settings are EXTRESMLY close on the pull lever...

That's odd, you might try that headlight switch (top pic) that I posted. It was like $25 from LMR, I believe. If that doesn't help your initial issue, you'll at least have a new switch lol

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I have aftermarket HID's in my car and I have this problem also. From what I can remember the guy who did this for me 15 years ago told me you need to get a resistor to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread