Headlight/fog light/switch mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Since it ain't on here, I thought I'd post one up, since I just done did it. :pepper:

So, the most "definitive" location for the mod is here at svtlightnings.com, but it leaves alot to be desired (especially how he managed to get to the cam/ramp without splitting the switch body open). [ame="http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66792"]LightningRodder.com[/ame] has a how-to as well, and it has some decent info there as well, with some confusion as to whether the mechanical mod is needed or not. :bash:

So, here's what I've done so far, which is the mechanical mod:

You HAVE to cut the face off to get to the cam (ramp, whatever) and cut it down. I can't figure out how the guy in the svtlightnings.com link managed to get to his without cutting it off. Either way, I cut mine off like in the pics in the links, and started dremeling/filing the cam:
e23bc475.jpg

I ended up cutting the cam to allow the knob to be pulled out at both the autolamp position, and the parking light position. Simple enough, a dremel helps, but the final shaping should be done with jeweler's files.

However, during testing, pulling the knob out at the Auto position feels "mushy", and here's why:
cb7bfc9e.jpg

See the notches in the shaft of the switch? They allow this detent to fall into the grooves, and gives you the "click" feel when you turn or pull the knob:
54ec4136.jpg

9e0902a1.jpg

a528d71e.jpg

So, to get that proper "click" when it's in Auto and you pull it out, you need to lengthen the notch, like so:
e442ae6b.jpg

e050b558.jpg

I started with that pointed tip, but swapped to a 3mm ball bit to make the basic groove, then followed up with the triangular jeweler's file to finish the shape. As you can see in the last shot, the cam is fully modified, and I put some white grease on to help it slide better. It clicks nicely (tho I don't think I cut the slot deep enough in the Auto position, I have to pull the knob a tad harder to get it to go into Fog mode), in all positions. I superglued the face back n, where the tabs were, it should hold, and if it doesn't, I'll pull it apart and fix it better. ;)

Now to do the wiring mod to make them come on with the Parking lamps:

RideThe posted the wiring diagrams from both early and late L's, that clarify the wiring mod fairly well, but still leaves me wondering which wires are used, and whether or not a fuse gets blown (mods, help me out here, I'm still swimmin' blind):

Ride The said:
99 - early production 2000 models. There was a mid year design change to the newer switch.

The only way to tell is the number of thumb wheels on the front face of the switch and the wiring on the back side.

For the 99-early 2000:
img024.jpg

You need to remove fuse #27 from the interior fuse box. Run a jumper wire from the yellow wire to a ground supply and run a jumper from the Brown to the White/Black wire.

The brown to White/Black wire changes how the relay gets is power. The ground is needed because the switch is what supplies the ground for the relay. You need to remove fuse #27 because if you don't the circuit will back feed and the headlights will be powered up. There is nothing else in the circuit for fuse #27.

Later 2000-2004:
img022.jpg

All you have to do is run a jumper wire from Yellow to brown.

If anyone wants to contribute without flamage :burn:, please do so. The mechanical mod worked fine, except the fogs aren't on with the parking lights; and if the wiring mod was all I needed, then I was a dummy and did a bunch of extra unneccesary work.:??:

:dancenana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread