Headlight adjustment L

Status
Not open for further replies.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
By Bill Arf

Just switched to the SilverStars on my '03 L. For the fog lights and headlights. 9005's in the fogs and 9007's in the headlights.
Will start by say YES, it is very easy to scratch the surrounding plastic/paint when going in and out with the headlight. I got a tiny scratch (compounded out easily) and then stopped and used some wide masking tape over the plastic to keep it from scratching during the procedure. Anyway, be sure when you reinsert the headlights that you have the 3 adjuster threaded rods that stick out the back of the headlight assembly back into the holes they belong in on your L. They stick through the headlight housing so you can make headlight adjustments. Knowing they are in the holes be sure to latch properly BOTH the black bracket retainers that you pulled up to remove the headlight bulb. They kinda double click as you push them down. Would be easy not to get them to latch properly. Be sure after you think you have ghem in right to take a close look and see if the headlights seem to be sitting right from the front and in right.
You could have them in crooked, etc.. Once you are 100% sure they are in right, park your L on level ground and about 15 ft. from a wall, garage door, etc.. To adjust the headlights up or down you find the adjuster rod on the top back of the headlight housing and you turn just that adjuster only. Adjust each headlight so the beam on the wall a head of you is equal. I found that adjustment was necessary with the SilverStars. Not sure if it was because of the SilverStars or adjustment just went a bit a muck with the headlight in and out procedure. I fine tuned my adjustment of the headlights once night fall came and after I drove the truck. Carried a small ignition plier to make the adjustments. I could not get a socket in there on to the adjuster rod as the socket was to long to fit in there. I had no wrench that small. Ford has a special headlight adjuster tool you can buy for $10+. I found the small plier did the job if you go easy so as not to bugger up the adjuster. Oh, you want to adjust the headlights so tht when you are driving your low beams hit just below the oncoming vehicles windshield. If you are facing the side on an car going by you want the low beam light to hit just a tad below their side windows. The adjustment will be different with everybodys L as alot depends on the height of your L front and rear,etc..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread