Headers Installed - New Numbers

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Spent the weekend installing my MAC ceramic coated headers, SPEC dual-disc clutch, and Evolution Motorsports subframe connectors. It was a fair amount of work, but I am really pleased with all three products.

After dropping the k-member, the header install wasn't that bad. The MAC catted H-pipe bolted right up and the only clearance issue we had was with the starter (one of the header tubes had to be slightly "massaged" about 1/4" to get it away from the starter).

The SPEC dual disc bolted right up and required absolutely no modifications to the fork, TOB sleeve, or pivot ball. (What a pleasant surprise, as compared to the RAM). Engagement is very smooth with no chattering and the pedal feel is close to stock. So far, this clutch is incredible!:thumbsup:

I took the car to the dyno today and the headers really helped performance. My "Street Tune" increased from 595 RWHP to 624 RWHP while the boost dropped from 18.8 to 17.8. A/F is consistent and timing is at 19 degrees:

2437914CobraDyno624(red).jpg

:beer:

The only thing that puzzles me is why the torque drops off so much after 5500 RPM. Any thoughts?:shrug:

Last edited:

tonypipes

Established Member
Spent the weekend installing my MAC ceramic coated headers, SPEC dual-disc clutch, and Evolution Motorsports subframe connectors. It was a fair amount of work, but I am really pleased with all three products.

After dropping the k-member, the header install wasn't that bad. The MAC catted H-pipe bolted right up and the only clearance issue we had was with the starter (one of the header tubes had to be slightly "massaged" about 1/4" to get it away from the starter).

The SPEC dual disc bolted right up and required absolutely no modifications to the fork, TOB sleeve, or pilot ball. (What a pleasant surprise, as compared to the RAM). Engagement is very smooth with no chattering and the pedal feel is close to stock. So far, this clutch is incredible!:thumbsup:

I took the car to the dyno today and the headers really helped performance. My "Street Tune" increased from 595 RWHP to 624 RWHP while the boost dropped from 18.8 to 17.8. A/F is consistent and timing is at 19 degrees:

The only thing that puzzles me is why the torque drops off so much after 5500 RPM. Any thoughts?:shrug:

The catted h-pipe is killing you, IMO, I had same proplem till I went o/r midpipe, Im running Mac Lts, mac o/r prochamber, mac cat-back. Whipple 19psi, torque line is straight now.

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member

The SPEC dual disc bolted right up and required absolutely no modifications to the fork, TOB sleeve, or pilot ball. (What a pleasant surprise, as compared to the RAM). Engagement is very smooth with no chattering and the pedal feel is close to stock. So far, this clutch is incredible!:thumbsup:

Good gains. And like stated above, the cats are whats killing you. I'm about to do a Mac LT install as well. Any pointers or recommendations? What did you use to support the engine after you dropped the K member?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The torque appears to drop off because the tq and hp are scaled differently on your graph. Have to shop force scale everything and it should appear more normal.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
The torque appears to drop off because the tq and hp are scaled differently on your graph. Have to shop force scale everything and it should appear more normal.

Yep, that's it!:thumbsup:

I manually plotted the torque curve using the same scale as the RWHP numbers and it flattened out and looked "normal."

Life is Good again...:beer:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
Was you clutch slipping before? That can give you falsely elevated "headers only" numbers.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I find it interesting that you had a clearance issue with the starter.
Mine had no fitment issues.
I also have the catted H.
It sounds really good with the MF cat back.
Which CB do you have?

wilderyzed

Established Member
I kinda agree with the clutch slippage thought. I put on so many headers on these cars at our shop and 98% of the time they just don't do a damn thing for these cars. Mid-pipes and cat backs are where the power is gained on the exhaust side and as stated above the catted mids kill high end torque I recomend a 2.5" MAC prochamber. Not saying its impossible but I just don't agree with headers on our cars. Good luck get a mid pipe

stanzione88

Established Member
I kinda agree with the clutch slippage thought. I put on so many headers on these cars at our shop and 98% of the time they just don't do a damn thing for these cars. Mid-pipes and cat backs are where the power is gained on the exhaust side and as stated above the catted mids kill high end torque I recomend a 2.5" MAC prochamber. Not saying its impossible but I just don't agree with headers on our cars. Good luck get a mid pipe

so you say there are no gains with longtubes? what about mid-range horsepower? is there an explanation on why 03 cobras dont make more power with headers? :shrug:

venom04svt

Established Member
nice...i picked up about the same gain as you when i went to BBK longtubes as well..i was shocked at the improvement, and they say these cars don't pick up much from longtubes... HA

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Awesome gains..:rockon:
I didn't really gain shit when i installed my Mac LTs.:shrug:

black 10th vert

Established Member
My opinion on longtubes is that you should aim for "the sound", and then if you pick up a few ponies - great! Even if you gain no measurable power, there is a gain in efficiency by lowering the boost, which equates to less backpressure/restriction.

FlaSeaDude, that's great news on the new Spec clutch! I've been following all of the threads regarding these dual disc setups, as that is the route I most likely will follow when the time comes. Like you, that floater plate rattling would drive me nuts!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yep, that's it!:thumbsup:

I manually plotted the torque curve using the same scale as the RWHP numbers and it flattened out and looked "normal."

Life is Good again...:beer:

Glad I could help.

-Jeff

RGrossman

Established Member
I also had a clearance issue right at the starter when I installed a set of Mac longtubes last month. Required a little massaging... This is the first set of Mac longtubes I've had this minor issue.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Most of the gains seem to be coming from guys with over 500whp. This is when or at least what i have seen via many post where guys are hitting a restriction on stock manifolds and pick up some power. I thought long and hard about buying the Kooks that i did. Cant wait to get them in even if they pick up 10 whp ill be happy they will be good for sound a little power and some underhood cooling as i had them ceramic coated.

Users who are viewing this thread