Header questions

Nervouswreck

Established Member
So i want to go Kooks LT’s except for a few things I’ve heard . First , i heard they can leak because of the slip fit connection . Second , i heard you can not drop your transmission with Kooks as well . My second choice is MAC , can you drop a transmission with MAC’s ? And second question is would MAC 1 5/8 be enough for 640 ish horsepower ? Trying to decide and these things are holding me up . Thank you .

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
So i want to go Kooks LT’s except for a few things I’ve heard . First , i heard they can leak because of the slip fit connection . Second , i heard you can not drop your transmission with Kooks as well .[/QUOTE

I have Kooks 1 7/8's LT's been on the car for 5 years now. No leaks or issues.
No issues with a t-56 trans fitting. Just need to remove the trans from the bell, then remove the bell housing separately.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
I have had two sets of Kooks for 15 years. The only leak I ever had was when I used the wrong header gasket in 2006. Make sure to use the Factory Ford gaskets. Once I fixed that zero leaks since. I would use Kooks and ARH way before MAC. Just better quality headers. I have run MAC on older Mustangs they are just not as nice.

Here are two pics of me changing to a DYAD clutch with headers still in place:

Here you can see all the room you have between the Kooks headers:

IMG_5341.JPG

This is us lowering the transmission and you can see the headers still installed.

IMG_5516.JPG

badmpg03

Established Member
If you are staying 600-650 hp, I'd go MAC's and have them coated.
I had Kooks 1 5/8 and they were OK, but if I did it again would have saved the $$ and gone MAC, they are more than proven

If you want to make anymore than 650wheel, personally I would get 1 3/4 or 1 7/8. you may start leaving some power on the table when you get 700-800 HP with 1 5/8

I now have 1 7/8 and my shop talked me into ARH over Kooks. Didn't really matter to me but no slip pipe was nice, and my shop said ARH are a little easier to install/clearances are better
So far no complaints

04torchred

Established Member
MAC's are fine, I had them prior to my ARH headers and you can do clutch swaps and drop the trans. Just like said above split at the bellhousing first.

I like my ARH with 1-3/4 x 3" slip fit collector, leaves good ground clearance. They can build them with no EGR tube I had mine done this way as never an intention with my 3.4 Whipple to run an EGR setup.

Users who are viewing this thread