Header question

Nervouswreck

Established Member
I know the ARH & Kooks are top of the line , but I’m really considering just going with MAC LT’s on my Cobra . The cost is a big reason . I’m a 43 year old with this car just being my toy when i have time for it , i got 3 kids , wife is a stay at home mom , just built a new house , college savings plans for the kids , blah blah blah lol , i gotta watch my pennies obviously. I never cheap out on my Cobra , i just had my Motor overhauled last year , ceramic coated the car , FTBR IRS overhaul including re powder coating the IRS frame etc , i NEVER cheap out !!!! But from what everything I’m reading the longtubes don’t make that big a difference in our power on these things . I have a POSI ported blower , plenum , and tb , 60 lb injectors , VMP BAP , 2.76 upper with a stock lower . The car made 491 on a Mustang dyno on very hot and humid day , and i just want to get a little more power . So after all this useless info lol , this is my question, Can i get away with MAC Longtubes vs Kooks or ARH with my power level ? Is a 1 5/8 primary enough for me ? Are the MAC LT’s a decent enough quality ? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
The ceramic coating peels once it gets hot and is exposed to water which then causes the mild steel to start rusting. Ac condensate also drips and accelerates the issue. Besides the driver collector hanging lower than the passenger collector they fit good. Sound and power are good too. 1 5/8 with 2.5 collector is plenty for your car, whichever header you get.

cj428mach

Established Member
I'm a firm believer that the best way to go with headers is ceramic coated stainless steel. I went with JBA long tubes which are actually a midlength, fitment is pretty good, only had to dimple one primary for Kmember clearance. Ground clearance is better than stock manifolds with aftermarket mid pipe.

My suggestion is to save you're money though and put it towards a bigger/better blower. Way more HP per $ and way less headaches.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm a firm believer that the best way to go with headers is ceramic coated stainless steel. I went with JBA long tubes which are actually a midlength, fitment is pretty good, only had to dimple one primary for Kmember clearance. Ground clearance is better than stock manifolds with aftermarket mid pipe.

My suggestion is to save you're money though and put it towards a bigger/better blower. Way more HP per $ and way less headaches.

Pretty much this. Unless you're going for every last tenth of a horsepower I don't think it's worth it. Plenty of guys make 600+ on stock logs. Bump the boost a couple PSI or look into E85.

And this is coming from a guy that has Bassani mids sitting in the garage and a tubular K member that makes it easier to install them.

Users who are viewing this thread