Header Choice..Please help asap

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Please help me figure out what to do. My BBK headers are rusted up pretty good and of course they have the standard BBK trademark dent in the one side.

What I need to decide is what I should replace them with? Shorties? Stock manifold? new better quality long tubes? I really want to be able to access the clutch with the new headers.. did I read properly that Kooks allow removal of the tranny\Bell housing? I would really love a bassani set to match my cat back.

I really need some sound advice here.. please chime in with whatever you can.. I need to order something no later than tomorrow morning.

TRBO VNM

I think Matt has MAC. they went on fairly easy with a UPR K, but yours will go on with the motor out of the car. His clutch and tranny came out with the headers in the car. I believe you need a matching midpipe from MAC, but I could be wrong.

Antex, chime in

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I heard MAC quality is crap.. that scares me.. same with BBK.. I mean really.. designed headers with a dent in it from the factory?

TRBO VNM

AngelOreo said:
I heard MAC quality is crap.. that scares me.. same with BBK.. I mean really.. designed headers with a dent in it from the factory?

I was impressed with the MAC coated that Matt got. I don't know what they look like now, but if the car is garage kept and isn't in all the elements they will last a long time with the coating.

other than that I would never recommend any that have the individual tubes that you connect to the collectors.

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Seriously.. I am leaning really hard to the Bassani system. Did some reading. If I use the remflex gaskets alone.. they seem to have very good success. We could double them up with the OEM ones as well and I bet they would be solid. Plus if we put them on outside the car.. we can torque em down right.. and re-torque em 24-48 hours later before they go into the car. Regarding the separate tubes and collector.. I would like to think can eliminate that issue with it being out of the car to work on it proper like..

The one problem I found with MAC is they do not make a short tube with cats.. I need to be emissions legal. One may question that the longtubes ruiin this.. but they passed emissions in NJ where I bought it.. so I think I should be OK. I guess a tubular K member is not as simple as it sounds right
? Need the Arms and coil over kit?

TRBO VNM

tubular K is as easy as it sounds. yes you need a-arms. there is a K that has provisions to use stock style springs(spring perches), but I don't recall which it is.

I have talked to people who have had the collectors leak as well with the individual tubes. the cat's can be in the midpipe like yours is now.

come on people, where are all the long tube owners at.

Ken
Carlos
Matt
others?

I really don't know a lot about them. they are a pia on these cars, so I have stayed away from them unless people just show up with them(Antex) and even then I left most of the install up to Lou.

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Kooks are sweet! I had the older and newer versions and they switched from a 8 pc. to a 4 pc set. Guys aren't having any problems with leaking collectors on the new version.

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
the cat's can be in the midpipe like yours is now.

come on people, where are all the long tube owners at.

What do you mean. Every mac mid pipe I seen for the matching long tubes is off road only.

Please folks.. step in here.. I really need to address this. Worse case.. I get the bassani's and we deal with it. Can be any worse than the BBKs

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
AngelOreo said:

Not true at all! MAC LT's, MAC uncatted prochamber, with 2.5" mac catbacks here. Several of us track guys use MAC. Less price as the others out there..

Last edited:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
AngelOreo said:
What do you mean. Every mac mid pipe I seen for the matching long tubes is off road only.

Please folks.. step in here.. I

Again - not true - You can get a catted H pipe or catted MAC prochamber with the MAC LT's..it's your money but I completely satified with my MAC header/exhaust system..

PureStang

Established Member
you can use bbk and mac products interchangeably i believe there is someone on another board where they used mac l/ts, bbk catted x together.

and trubo vnm, i believe that the k-member and a-arm kit your talking about is the PA Racing products

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I have a MAC shorty catted H-pipe in my shed at home :-D It goes on when I need to pass emission (or for a month or so after I get pulled over for not having cats :cuss: )

I have MAC longtubes and they are actually made to go around the steering shaft without a dent. However, I have the crappy coating so they are rusty as hell, probably worse than yours were.

When Carlos had his car down at Jasons, I saw his SLP's and they looked amazing. Almost mirror finish coating and looked brand new. Anything with a good ceramic coating is going to last plenty long. I'd say MAC if you wanna go relatively cheap, or SLP and Kooks if you want higher price/quality.

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Antex said:
Again - not true - You can get a catted H pipe or catted MAC prochamber with the MAC LT's..it's your money but I completely satified with my MAC header/exhaust system..

Where did you see the shorty catted Prochamber \ H pipe? What mide pipe do you think sounds the best and is loudest with the MAC longtubes? I must have loud.. but more important... legal.

I'll take your word for the quality of the mac tubes.. just need to find the matching catted h pipe\ pro chamber and some sounds clips..

Do you suppose the cops would give you a grace period for not having cats or nope.. federal fines on the spot only?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
AngelOreo said:
Where did you see the shorty catted Prochamber \ H pipe? What mide pipe do you think sounds the best and is loudest with the MAC longtubes? I must have loud.. but more important... legal.

I'll take your word for the quality of the mac tubes.. just need to find the matching catted h pipe\ pro chamber and some sounds clips..

Do you suppose the cops would give you a grace period for not having cats or nope.. federal fines on the spot only?

I got pulled over last year in College Park, I was goin the speed limit on rt. 1 at 10pm on a sunday. Cop walked up and said "I'm gonna ask you once if you have cats on this car, then I'm gonna look under it". I told him no and he gave me a lecture about it being a federal offense and if the ticket was worth the extra 2-3 horsepower, and then why I didn't just get the hi-flo cats (which I have, just at home). Gave me a $50 fine and said it could have been up to $250. No fix-it ticket, just a fine. What a bunch of crap.

I think the prochamber would probably be the best sounding but the H might be the loudest. I guess I could let you hear my car, then swap the catted H in and let you hear that. Doesn't really take that long.

Also, you could always get some hi-flo cats welded in to whatever you buy. I just looked on MAC's site and only saw catted shorty H-pipes for GT's. Not sure if mine would fit your car or not.

Last edited:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
AngelOreo said:

The MAC LT & prochamber recommendation came from Ken (Hissssnsvt) - that's what he runs too. When I have to go through emissions every 2 years I borrow his bought off ebay used emissions only catted H pipe..lol. Jon Lund like the prochamber as well. Evolution Performance has a sound clip of my 706/702 dyno run that they should have up & running by now...hint..hint..Fred...

Check with one of the MAC dealers - TRBO VNM - on the catted pipes & prochambers. They were available when I got mine back in October 06..

Last edited:

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
PureStang said:
you can use bbk and mac products interchangeably i believe there is someone on another board where they used mac l/ts, bbk catted x together.

You are correct. I bought a used bbk x-pipe with cats for emissions and it worked just fine with my MAC LT's. Matt used the same x-pipe for his emissions. Anyone local with MAC or BBK LT's is more then welcome to borrow it for their emissions test or inspection if they prefer running a offroad midpipe. I run a prochamber.

Users who are viewing this thread