head recall question..

josh2016

Established Member
i just got my 03 about a month ago, i took it to ford to get a record check for it and found out that the previous owner didnt take it to ford when the recall came out. do i have anything to worry about? since i've gotten it ive put on longtubes, catless x-pipe, magnaflow exhaust, 6lb lower, accufab 90mm throttle body, afco heat exchanger, 4.10 gears, 60lb injectors, upr blue thunder short throw, sct tuner, steeda pulley tensioner, and ebiach suspension. i want to get the heads ported but dont know if its a waste of money due to the recall.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
from my understanding its not a recall. if the car had the tick and was produced from X-Y they would cover the car and do a updated cylinder head. but there is no offical "recall" on it.

atleast thats my understanding.. maybe im wrong?

bLk 03 c0uPe

lOw CoBra
Established Member
wait so your saying ford will cover the heads if they were not replaced? saying i can take my cobra to a ford dealer ship to get them swaped? Im very tight with the guys there to.

GodStang

Established Member
It was NOT a recall it was a TSB. Which means it was only covered under warranty and only if your car was showing symptoms. IF you are not getting the tick than you are fine. When I did my rebuild I did not have the tick but replaced my heads anyways.

The only recall for our cars was the gas pedal.

GodStang

Established Member
wait so your saying ford will cover the heads if they were not replaced? saying i can take my cobra to a ford dealer ship to get them swaped? Im very tight with the guys there to.

No that is not true. TSB NOT RECALL!! You car has to be under warranty and have the symptoms.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
It was NOT a recall it was a TSB. Which means it was only covered under warranty and only if your car was showing symptoms. IF you are not getting the tick than you are fine. When I did my rebuild I did not have the tick but replaced my heads anyways.

The only recall for our cars was the gas pedal.

Listen to him ^^^^^

josh2016

Established Member
my car has the "tick" but u cant really hear it over my exhaust...will it be a future problem for me?

GodStang

Established Member
Are you sure it is THE tick. Remember our Fuel injectors are Loud as hell and they tick. It is perfectly 100% fine. Also our lifters are a bit loud. That being said you can have the tick and if you do you are fine unless you start having over heating problems or the tick gets worse.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Yeah, lean in towards the FRPS that is near the oil filler cap - it makes a very noticeable ticking as do the injectors. If you have a mechanics stethescope, you can touch that against the valve covers or exhaust manifold ans hear the difference. Otherwise, the injectors and valve-train are obnoxiously noisy on these cars!!!

GodStang

Established Member
Yeah, lean in towards the FRPS that is near the oil filler cap - it makes a very noticeable ticking as do the injectors. If you have a mechanics stethescope, you can touch that against the valve covers or exhaust manifold ans hear the difference. Otherwise, the injectors and valve-train are obnoxiously noisy on these cars!!!

Add cams and it is 10 times worse.

Nik

Established Member
if the motor was built after november of 2003, i believe ford had fixed the head problem. you can find the production date on the driver side of the block on the barcode

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

GodStang

Established Member
if the motor was built after november of 2003, i believe ford had fixed the head problem. you can find the production date on the driver side of the block on the barcode

There were 4 versions of our heads and the final version was not until January 2005.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Not to hijack this thread but I have the same question. I have early 03 heads First run with 4 threads. Is it worth it to have them rebuilt and lockstiched or buy 05 revisions?

GodStang

Established Member
Not to hijack this thread but I have the same question. I have early 03 heads First run with 4 threads. Is it worth it to have them rebuilt and lockstiched or buy 05 revisions?

If you are having problems then yes. Other wise no. More people had zero problems then people with problems. That is one reason why it was only a TSB and not a recall. No need to spend thousands of dollars if your car is running fine.

SpectorV

Established Member
the TSB is probably out of time regardless. Also not some used to say "blue stripes on the heads means they are the new revised heads". This is a very false statement so don't believe that.

GodStang

Established Member
the TSB is probably out of time regardless. Also not some used to say "blue stripes on the heads means they are the new revised heads". This is a very false statement so don't believe that.

TSB is Factory Warranty so I would say yes most are out of Warranty. That is why I said it would cost thousands to do.

Users who are viewing this thread