Head porting? jack shaft bolts? Oil pump? Lots of questions

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
Im trying to get my plan together for the next step on my 99 cobra build. I havent found a straight answer on whether or not porting my c heads would be worth the cost. Im looking to make 800 or so to the wheels running a v2 si.
Do i need to upgrade my jack shaft bolts.
Oil pump ?
Do i really need a thumperrr tensioner?
Electric water pump worth it ?
I am planning on doing an 8 rib setup

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It's possible to make that power with stock heads. However, porting will make it easier to hit that goal. Provided you have a good guy doing the work. If it's in the budget I say do it. When I build my next engine I plan on getting a set of ported heads to go with it.

For the side bolts I would upgrade. Better safe than sorry in that situation.

I ran a Thump tensioner. It was probably overkill. I would upgrade to the 8 rib and see if you have belt slip. If you don't you're good. If you do then look into the aftermarket tensioner.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I prefer to run bigger pullies for better belt wrap. I had a 12% lower on my old set up so I was able to run a larger blower pulley for the same boost. The 8 rib really helps.

I ran a Melling oil pump in my last engine. I didn't have any issues. But next time around I'm thinking about the 13/14 GT500 pump with billet gears.

I've never run an elevator water pump so I can't say they're good or bad.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
aftermarket dampers are gonna be $ but it beats fighting belt slip. I forget the brand but there is an alternative to thump racing now (i think beefcake and some others sell it), Id look in to that before thump if you have to go that route.

Id grind the timing cover either off the motor or at least motor out of the car to clear the OD crank pulley.

My builder and tuner told me to turn up the boost vs porting my heads. My D1 car made 715 on 15psi with E85 but Im not familiar with the Vortech blower line.

Also if not already dont youd want to look at upgrading the timing dowel if using an aluminum block

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Thank you for the response
Do you think i would run into belt slip with an 8 rib setup with only a 3.00 or 2.87 pulley

No. I run a 3.12 6 rib with no slip. Guys have ran 2.87 with a super tight belt with barely any slip. With 8 rib you should not have slip. 800rwhp is doable. Higher compression, blower cams, maxed blower, and E85 tune.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If you use the little quote/reply button people will be notified you responded to them. You can hit the quote button on multiple people and reply in one post (multi quote)

Im not sure i even want to run e85. Basic idea is 9 to 1 compression todd warren cams and v2 si trim with 3.00 pully hopefully id push about 17 psi

not enough compression, you wont be making that kinda power on pump gas regardless so what fuel are you gonna run?

Is an aftermarket tensioner really needed ? Im not sure what you mean by timing dowel tensioner?

The dowel in the block (behind the timing cover) that the timing chain guides pivot on, at higher power levels theyre a potential failure point with catastrophic results. The cost to upgrade it vs potential failure makes it a no-brainer, it only applies to aluminum blocks

Cobragixxer9994

Established Member
I keep forgetting about that.
I belive stock compression is 9.8.1. Im sure i could run 10 .1 right would that be a better compression for pump gas. I could also bump the boost to 20 psi. Thank you ill remember about the dowel pins i have not read about those anywhere.i would be running dual gt40 pumps.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
I keep forgetting about that.
I belive stock compression is 9.8.1. Im sure i could run 10 .1 right would that be a better compression for pump gas. I could also bump the boost to 20 psi. Thank you ill remember about the dowel pins i have not read about those anywhere.i would be running dual gt40 pumps.

Will you at least be using meth? More compression plus more boost equals more heat which requires more octane. On 93 if you up the boost or the compression you're going to need to pull timing out of it. 20psi will be right about max for that blower. You're going to need a better fuel either way. 93 plus meth or E85.

Users who are viewing this thread