head gasket leak

dicks 99 cobra

Established Member
I own a 99 cobra with 54,ooo miles on the odometer. I recently noticed a oil leak above the passenger side exhaust manifold. I took it to my ford dealer where they told me I had a leak in my head gasket and it would cost 2k to fix. Im thinking of just rebuilding the engine with forged internals. Any suggestions? Also, how much should I expect to pay for a rebuild?

duane v

Established Member
dicks 99 cobra said:
I own a 99 cobra with 54,ooo miles on the odometer. I recently noticed a oil leak above the passenger side exhaust manifold. I took it to my ford dealer where they told me I had a leak in my head gasket and it would cost 2k to fix. Im thinking of just rebuilding the engine with forged internals. Any suggestions? Also, how much should I expect to pay for a rebuild?
If your head gasket was leaking bad enough to weep oil, your motor would noticeably miss....I would go have a leak down test done first, that will tell you if you have a bad head gasket....I'll bet its just a leaky valve cover gasket...DA snake boy!!!!

suprsnke

Established Member
I just replaced my head gasket w/ the help of my son. I agree that you should do a leak down test or a compression test. My #7 cylinder was dead (only 60 lbs), the parts cost
was ruffly about $380. If you decide to tackle the job yourself let me know I feel I have some good ideas on how to avoid disaster. Let me know.......

Ray.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
dicks 99 cobra said:

How does oil leak above the passenger side exhaust manifold when the head gasket sits below the exhaust manifold?

As was mentioned that sounds more like a valve cover gasket is leaking.

duane v

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
How does oil leak above the passenger side exhaust manifold when the head gasket sits below the exhaust manifold?

Exactly, the oil would have to defy gravity...maybe he has magic oil in his Cobra :D ...DA snake boy!!!

green99_svt

Established Member
duane v said:
If your head gasket was leaking bad enough to weep oil, your motor would noticeably miss....I would go have a leak down test done first, that will tell you if you have a bad head gasket....I'll bet its just a leaky valve cover gasket...DA snake boy!!!!

thats nonsense. i worked at ford for many years and all mod motors will weep from the rear of the heads. the 2v are known more than the 4 but they all do it. this is what happens if the mls head gasket has a scrape or nick. it will create a leak path for the oil because the gasket does not compress like a graphite. his best bet is to verify with oil dye and remove that head check for warpage. check for any visible scoring on the head and block. if the head is scratched or warped it will need to be replaced. if its ok put a new gasket on and your good to go. only use a plastic scraper and gasket remover. never use sanding pads or metal or will scratch the head and make the leak worse.

duane v

Established Member
green99_svt said:
thats nonsense. i worked at ford for many years and all mod motors will weep from the rear of the heads. the 2v are known more than the 4 but they all do it. this is what happens if the mls head gasket has a scrape or nick. it will create a leak path for the oil because the gasket does not compress like a graphite. his best bet is to verify with oil dye and remove that head check for warpage. check for any visible scoring on the head and block. if the head is scratched or warped it will need to be replaced. if its ok put a new gasket on and your good to go. only use a plastic scraper and gasket remover. never use sanding pads or metal or will scratch the head and make the leak worse.
Ive takened a ton of these motors apart and havent seen one scenerio of what you're describing...DA snake boy!!!!

green99_svt

Established Member
duane v said:
Ive takened a ton of these motors apart and havent seen one scenerio of what you're describing...DA snake boy!!!!

i can get you the ford tsb if you like duane. ive done over 20 sets of head gaskets for this reason from 4.6 2v to 6.8 v10 and 5.4 4v. this is a common issue if in fact this is his problem. But wait who used to work on these engines for a living?

duane v

Established Member
green99_svt said:
i can get you the ford tsb if you like duane. ive done over 20 sets of head gaskets for this reason from 4.6 2v to 6.8 v10 and 5.4 4v. this is a common issue if in fact this is his problem. But wait who used to work on these engines for a living?
Like I stated, I havent seen the issue you described..Its great that you were a ford tech.....but no offense I wouldnt let any ford tech go near my mustang..but I would let them knock themselves out doing a head gasket on my 97 Taurus, which took them 2x to get it right :rollseyes ....DA snake boy!!!

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
green99_svt said:
I used to work for Ford my self and can back up what green99_svt is saying because I have seen it with my own eyes as well. Duane is a shade tree guy that has probably never worked as a Ford tech so his responses so far are understandable. Finally, to repete, never ever use metal gasket scrapers or sand paper to clean cylinder head gasket surfaces.

duane v

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Duane is a shade tree guy that has probably never worked as a Ford tech so his responses so far are understandable.
:rollseyes ..well this may be true, but my word in a court of law would definately carry more weight than any ford tech or any CSE certified tech on the planet...ya I know thats a tough pill for you to swallow...DA snake boy!!!

Last edited:

cobraracer46

Banned
duane v said:
:rollseyes ..well this may be true, but my word in a court of law would definately carry more weight than any ford tech or any CSE certified tech on the planet...ya I know thats a tough pill for you to swallow...DA snake boy!!!
You once said that you can clean the deck surface of a Cobra head with sand Paper when there is a TSB put out by Ford that specificlly says NOT to use sand paper to clean head gasket surfaces. :nonono:

duane v

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
You once said that you can clean the deck surface of a Cobra head with sand Paper when there is a TSB put out by Ford that specificlly says NOT to use sand paper to clean head gasket surfaces. :nonono:
I stated the deck surface of the block :rolleyes: ..get your facts straight before you open ignorant mouth...I'm able to do this to the block deck because I have a digital surface gage that will let me know when I have obtained the acceptable Ra surface...DA snake boy!!!!

cobraracer46

Banned
duane v said:
I stated the deck surface of the block :rolleyes: ..get your facts straight before you open ignorant mouth...I'm able to do this to the block deck because I have a digital surface gage that will let me know when I have obtained the acceptable Ra surface...DA snake boy!!!!
Deck surface, head gasket surface, they are surfaces that a head gasket must seal. Your repair methods go against repair guide lines set forth by Ford Motor Company so, really you are the ignorant individual. I like reading forums, but some times, the misinformation presented in them by people like the snake boy leave a lot to be desired. :pop:

duane v

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
Deck surface, head gasket surface, they are surfaces that a head gasket must seal. Your repair methods go against repair guide lines set forth by Ford Motor Company so, really you are the ignorant individual. I like reading forums, but some times, the misinformation presented in them by people like the snake boy leave a lot to be desired. :pop:
No, I have actually changed a head gasket on a 4.6 cast iron blocks and aluminum blocks...You have never done a head gasket change or would even have the slightest notion as to where to begin...So that would make you ignorant...I do my head gaskets changes as I see fit, and you can go on reading ford bulletins as you see fit...that simple...DA snake boy!!!

green99_svt

Established Member
the block or head surface should never be cleaned with sand paper. Duane if thats what you do and the results please you for all meens do so. i do not reccomend it. the little peices of sand come off and can contaminate bearings and clog oil galleys. not only that if the scratch is deep enough it will create a leak path for the oil to follow.

as far as a word holding in court im not really sure what court would hold a backyard tech (not saying duane is not a good tech because he is knowledgable) over a ford trained tech. btw what the hell is a cse certification. i know what ase is because i hold all 8(most ase techs cant fix a sandwich so it doesnt meen much).

also duane please dont try to discredit me. your opinion to not let a ford tech touch your car is fine and valid. there are alot of bad techs at any shop. doesnt meen that i am or not. i simply replied to the thread to let the original poster know that in fact head gaskets do leak oil from the rear without any effect on engine performance, and is in fact a common issue on mod fords. just because one person that has experience in doing head gaskets has not seen it doesnt make it not possible.

duane v

Established Member
green99_svt said:
the block or head surface should never be cleaned with sand paper. Duane if thats what you do and the results please you for all meens do so. i do not reccomend it. the little peices of sand come off and can contaminate bearings and clog oil galleys. not only that if the scratch is deep enough it will create a leak path for the oil to follow.

as far as a word holding in court im not really sure what court would hold a backyard tech (not saying duane is not a good tech because he is knowledgable) over a ford trained tech. btw what the hell is a cse certification. i know what ase is because i hold all 8(most ase techs cant fix a sandwich so it doesnt meen much).

also duane please dont try to discredit me. your opinion to not let a ford tech touch your car is fine and valid. there are alot of bad techs at any shop. doesnt meen that i am or not. i simply replied to the thread to let the original poster know that in fact head gaskets do leak oil from the rear without any effect on engine performance, and is in fact a common issue on mod fords. just because one person that has experience in doing head gaskets has not seen it doesnt make it not possible.
I'm not a back yard tech by profession :rollseyes, but in engineering circles technicians are considered the nurses of the mechanical world, still very knowledgeable and a great source for hands on information, we have some of the best technicians in the world at my place of employment... Also I never stated the head gasket symptoms that you have seen isn't possible, I just stated I have never seen that case scenario when I have torn down modular motors...And last, I didn't dis-credit you as a technician, I just have a different method for prepping a block deck for a head gasket change...you're the one doing the questioning, which is your prerogative...DA snake boy!!!!

dicks 99 cobra

Established Member
I have decided that I am going to replace the head gaskets myself. I know I shouldn't use sandpaper to remove the old head gaskets. Any other tips?

Users who are viewing this thread