Head Gasket... How much?

b_dike

Established Member
Just like the title says. How much have you payed to replace a head gasket, and how many hours do you tipically get billed for???

Need this done. Just tryn to prepare myself before I call a local speed shop.

hotcobra03

Established Member
well i just did my own awile back...i had replaced the head...

i was around 500 just in gasket,bolts,oil,filter,antifreeze,prep supplys..just on 1 side

i did job the myself....

ive also done mine more than once and
ive had my engine out of car and in the car...

i recall my first time in...drivers side head lost a valve in cyl 6...car had around170k..

i also had pulled passenger side to have checked being these heads are known for issues..
so i also had machineshop charges that were other than just head gasket.

i wouldnt just pull a head and slap a gasket on without having head completly went over by shop..

than theres the block...i half assed it...i just threw head on,,,but if i was having issues with overheating and running it hot i would have had block checked..

sorry i cant answer your question but im interested in what replys you do get...im thinking a grand plus...

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
No shop will do just one gasket, also heads should def be pressure tested and resurfaced. With an iron block you have nothing to worry about. I wish I could give a better price but I do all of my own work. Parts and labor id count on 1500-1800 including checking the heads, more if they need work.

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
thanks for the heads up fellas. I'll update tomorrow.

O ya btw... Why wouldn't they only do one side? Just curious.

NJredfire03

Established Member
Ive had a Ford dealerships quote me $7500 for both head gaskets if the heads were in good shape, i said no way and took it to a performance shop in the Fort Lauderdale area. This is what I had done:

Engine pulled
Heads pressure checked(ok)
Resurfaced heads
Competition valve job
ARP head stud kit
Cometic MLS gaskets
All the supporting gaskets and parts
Engine reinstalled

$3200

All of this because i was young and dumb and ran the car too hard on a shaky tune. Lesson learned indeed.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
thanks for the heads up fellas. I'll update tomorrow.

O ya btw... Why wouldn't they only do one side? Just curious.

If your front tires are worn out but only the left one has steel cords showing do you replace both or the one with cords showing?

Slow99x

Established Member
Use Felpro gaskets from JEGS. They are $50 each and are the same gakets used in all the MMR race motors. Upgrade to ARP head studs because your stock headbolts are torque-to-yeild and cannot be reused.

b_dike

Established Member
If your front tires are worn out but only the left one has steel cords showing do you replace both or the one with cords showing?

Just to update you guys. MC Racing in Overlandpark, KS quoted me $720 for 8hrs of labor, and roughly $400 in parts. So around $1120 for oneside, and then an extra 3hrs to do the other side plus parts.

So almost $1400 total. I'm sure this is a low ball quote though. Just to get me in the door. :shrug:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Just to update you guys. MC Racing in Overlandpark, KS quoted me $720 for 8hrs of labor, and roughly $400 in parts. So around $1120 for oneside, and then an extra 3hrs to do the other side plus parts.

So almost $1400 total. I'm sure this is a low ball quote though. Just to get me in the door. :shrug:

yea add another 250-350 per head for machine work. they need to be check and while they are out it would be a good idea for a valve job and to check the seats.

also good time to upgrade cams and also the valves or even possibly doing a port job.

Users who are viewing this thread