Head Gasket - fix or different engine

Kennedy

Established Member
Hi,

Long story short, I was driving my car across country (97 Cobra with an aviator swap), lost an idler pulley and limped it to a Napa auto parts. Engine got a bit hot and hasn't been the same since (runs hot). Other than that, it runs fine. I did a combustion gas test this evening and it turned yellow (should have stayed blue if HG not damaged).

Options are:

1) Pull engine, replace head gaskets, visually inspect for cracks and hope for the best. I have headers and 97 cobra cams to go in during this. I could also have some head work done, maybe mill 10 thousandths to ensure they aren't warped. How likely is it that the block or heads are warped or cracked?

2) Get a different engine. I have an in on a Navigator long block in great shape for 1K. I have a cowl hood and ported 01 cobra intake on the car now, that I could use. In parts I have an 8 bolt flywheel, shorty headers and 97 cobra cams to go in. I know there are better cams, but the ones I have looked at are ~1200. I think I could swap engines to this for a pretty reasonable cost.

In either case, I don't have the cash for a full rebulid of the current engine or a coyote swap.

I am debating which way to go. Each has its benefits, but wanted to see what you guys think. The car ran well before this happened. I beat a friend (2 of 3) with a Calloway Vette with a Lt1 383.

Thanks for taking a look and let me know what you think.
Kennedy

Attachments

• IMG_8728 copy 2.jpg
    IMG_8728 copy 2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 90

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The heads are probably warped. I warped a set of heads when I had an engine over heat on me. But the machine shop was able to mill them flat.

If it was me I would pull the engine then pull the heads. Make sure you didn't get coolant in the cylinders. If you did then more than likely the cylinders are damaged and it would be best to move on to the other engine. If the cylinders are good I would send the heads to the machine shop for inspection. If heads can be milled go for it. Otherwise once again, get the other engine.

Of course this also depends on how much down time you can afford with this car.

Kennedy

Established Member
Thanks for the reply!

In terms of make sure I didn't get coolant in, I would be able to see right? Meaning things would be cleaner from the steam? There is no coolant coming out of the exhaust and it sounds pretty normal.

I can afford downtime. I have another car I can daily.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
When I got coolant in the cylinders I could see the scuff marks from the lack of oil. I don't remember how much of the piston skirt protrudes when it's at the bottom of the stroke, but that could be another way to check. Any scuffs on the pistons is a bad sign. A little steam cleaning isn't totally horrible. But if the cylinders got washed down the rings at the very least are done.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
pull it, check it over and figure it out from there. I'd have the heads and block checked and see if anythings warped or not. Maybe you got lucky and the heads are a quick easy fix.

Users who are viewing this thread