Head Gasket failures

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Anyone have this issue on their 2016-17 Focus RS. I have been reading about this problem on different forums and hope its not too widespread. I want to pick up a used RS down the road but not if its going to be a crap shoot with a bad head gasket. From what I understand it has been corrected on the late 2017 and 2018 RS builds but I have not seen that confirmed anywhere.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It seemed way, way blown out of proportion.

When I had my RS there was a lot of talk all over the place about so and so blowing a head gasket and how so many cars were screwed from the start. I started poking around and from what I could tell, towards the end of my ownership, a little over 10 cars had blown head gaskets. I'm sure the number is higher now, but at that point there was some talk that the number was probably closer to 100. Many cars had tunes on them and many were stock. Mind you, world wide they probably sold 8,000 of them first year.

Ford was aware of the problem and they were replacing the engines without fuss. If you are planning on buying in the future, get a car with over 15-20k miles. It seems like if it was going to go, it would have happened before 10k miles. Or just get a later build.

Overall, the car seemed pretty solid. Mine had 10k miles on it when I sold it, and if I had to guess, probably close to 2000 miles alone were on track. The only issues I ever had was the B pillar rattle, which drove me insane until I fixed it and the hatch latch would pop itself anytime I was on track (which there was a recall for).

I miss it from time to time. It wasn't a car that would allow you to forget what it was. It's easy to sit back and bumble along in my mustang and forget what you are in, even with a loud exhaust. The RS didn't have that, the dial was turned to 11 and broke off, which made it the most fun street car I have ever owned. The only downside to that is that you physically run out of energy on long drives and the car doesn't.

I sold it for 2 reasons, first, to make it a better track car would take away from what it was as a street car and I wasn't willing to make that sacrifice. The second was I drove out on a Friday night from Denver to SLC, Saturday morning we were up early and to the track, same thing with Sunday, and right after our last session we headed straight back to Denver. I70 was the fastest route, which we avoided on the way out due to how crappy the road is. Around midnight I couldn't do it anymore, the car is still cranked up to 11 and I needed it to be a 3. The looming HG issues had no bearing on my decision, overall it seemed reliable, especially considering the life it lived.

That's my .02 on the car.

Osiris

Established Member
I have just under 14K on mine. 11/16 build. 2017 Model. Only issue I've had are the crappy lug nuts.

That being said, I'm staying cautious. I have two catch cans and the Mountune Breather plate sitting in their boxes waiting to be installed. I want to be sure I'm good before installing. I also have the Mountune BPV on the car and the Ford Racing tune (installed by the dealer).

I can agree with most of what is said above. The car is definitely built to be what it is, but I don't get so worn out driving it I guess. The suspension can be a little annoying at times in the city, I don't notice it much on the highway unless its one of our lovely crappy ones here in the city.

The boost is definitely addicting.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the reviews guys. I don't have any doubt that the RS is what it has been advertised as. I have been wanting one long before they came to the USA for sale. I do have the chance from my dealer to get a new later build 2017 highly discounted or a 2018 that is incoming. Have not decided what to do. I am not worried at all about how the RS drives on the street. After driving my 93 Cobra R and 95 Cobra R on the street I doubt it could ride much harder than those two track cars. Just trying to figure out if I want another GT500 first or get the RS first. Either way I will have both but one will be first.

Osiris

Established Member
Thanks for the reviews guys. I don't have any doubt that the RS is what it has been advertised as. I have been wanting one long before they came to the USA for sale. I do have the chance from my dealer to get a new later build 2017 highly discounted or a 2018 that is incoming. Have not decided what to do. I am not worried at all about how the RS drives on the street. After driving my 93 Cobra R and 95 Cobra R on the street I doubt it could ride much harder than those two track cars. Just trying to figure out if I want another GT500 first or get the RS first. Either way I will have both but one will be first.
As stiff as the RS can be, at the same time before I bought my GT350 I had a '14 GT that had GT500 lowering springs. Driving the RS was nicer.

It won't be as fast, but it'll be faster off the light. It'll carry a little more...The steering is light, and lightning quick but the turning circle is awful.

Both cars do very different things. It all depends on what you need it for.

If you get one, the '18 LE will be more desired down the road due to production number and the mechanical LSD. Depending on the discount that will either matter or it won't. Both cars are the same in engine performance. Also, you have to want either Nitrous Blue or Race Red for the '18.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

04MysticCobra

Established Member
As stiff as the RS can be, at the same time before I bought my GT350 I had a '14 GT that had GT500 lowering springs. Driving the RS was nicer.

It won't be as fast, but it'll be faster off the light. It'll carry a little more...The steering is light, and lightning quick but the turning circle is awful.

Both cars do very different things. It all depends on what you need it for.

If you get one, the '18 LE will be more desired down the road due to production number and the mechanical LSD. Depending on the discount that will either matter or it won't. Both cars are the same in engine performance. Also, you have to want either Nitrous Blue or Race Red for the '18.

Thanks for the info. Don't really care about how quick the RS is or not. I had two Cobras 03 and 04 and a 2014 GT500 recently so its not about how fast the car is. After having both a 2013 and 2015 Focus ST's the RS is just upping the progression of these fun small cars. But I have been waiting a long time for the AWD version and this RS is the one. I have 2 dealers that can give me great deals on the last build 2017's in stock or 2018's that are coming in now with some decent discounts. I really like the Race Red color and would buy an 18 in that color if the price is good. Will be looking to pick up an RS in 2018.

Osiris

Established Member
Race Red will be the most unique color since it's the only color done in one year. There is a company in the UK called DMB graphics that makes gel inlays for the badges if you want to end up changing the color. Personally I think the RR clashes with the RS badging on the car.

It's a lot of fun though, and the AWD definitely changes up the characteristics from the ST a bit, I had one of those in '14 and could definitely tell, but from inside the car, aside from the blue dials they look and sit exactly the same. It'll be familiar territory for you having had an ST.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Apparently the head gasket issue affected about 3% of cars built so far. From an article I read this morning, it stems from the wrong gasket (Mustang Ecoboost) being installed incorrectly on the Focus RS engines. The coolant passages are different btw the 2 and it caused coolant to be blocked in certain parts of the engine. It seems to have been a supplier issue in that they were incorrectly labeling the packaging causing the mishap.

bpmurr

Established Member
I took my wife's 2016 Focus RS in for the recall. After the pressure test the car only required the head gasket be replaced. So far so good after the repair!

Osiris

Established Member
Dealers in my area are reporting a national backorder on parts...Can that be confirmed? They don't even want to take the car in right now, saying it could be weeks....

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I bought a new 2017 RS last weekend because the deal was too good to pass up and before I took delivery the HG fix was done. My service manager was on top of it and got the added supplement parts that were not included in the D kit for the HG repair. I drove the RS before and after the HG repair and they did a great job. The RS runs perfect and you can't even tell they were in there. This RS is a such a blast to drive and I am coming from owning two Focus ST's a 2013 and 2015.

bpmurr

Established Member
Dealers in my area are reporting a national backorder on parts...Can that be confirmed? They don't even want to take the car in right now, saying it could be weeks....

I'd recommend following this
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/154-fo...-getting-my-head-gasket-fixed-megathread.html

It seems like parts are currently in short supply.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I'd recommend following this
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/154-fo...-getting-my-head-gasket-fixed-megathread.html

It seems like parts are currently in short supply.

Definitely good to follow. I have been a member over there for a while now and it helped me out greatly finding out about the HG situation. It just sucks that Ford was not really ready when they put out the FSA. They left out the high pressure fuel line from the parts kit among other parts when its even in their service manual not to re-use the fuel line and to install a new one when replacing the HG. I was very fortunate to get all those parts installed on the HG fix before they were in short supply.

Osiris

Established Member
I'm on a list now...I guess we'll see how long this takes. I won't stop driving the car either...if the motor goes because of this, so be it. They can replace the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread