HD F150 daily duties

SCRILLA13

Established Member
So I sold my '90 Chevy 1500 454SS that was my dd to get my mustang, and now I miss having a truck. I'm strongly considering getting a crew cab sc hd truck but I have a few questions about how well they do daily driving and I'm sure there are a few of y'all that do so. If I do get one I would prob mod it but nothing too crazy (2/4 drop, cai, 4 or 6 lower pulley, catback, electric fan kit, tune).

With those mods what kind of gas mileage would I see? I get 17-18 around town in my GT with 3.90 gears now and with rising prices I don't want to lose too much mileage.

How would it do towing? I wouldnt be towing very often but I would like to be able to pull my dads 21ft sea pro walk around.

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
DD's my 03 with the following mods:

8# lower, E-Fan, Maggie Back Exhaust, C&L Plenum, BA-2600 MAF, SBTB, K&N Gen II intake

Staying out of boost saw 14-16 city & 17-19 hwy
Having fun in boost saw 7-9 city & 10-12 hwy

had a very aggressive tune & then she blew up...so now its fully built and is no longer a DD

If you go with a 6# lower at the most, good safe tune, and you stay out of boost for the most part you will still see 15-16 city with 17-19 hwy

On the built motor (see power level below) I am getting 12-14 city & 15-17 hwy but I let it go into boost all the time. If I didn't enjoy the power I am sure I could get higher MPG

getting into boost is what kills the mpg...so if you concern for mpg is main, then don't get a supercharged truck.

Last edited:

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I can officially post in this thread as I have started driving my 2002 HD. It's stock down to the paper filter. I found that out Saturday. I've burnt 3 tanks thru mine so far. Two tanks I got about 12.5 mpg and one tank it said 9.9 mpg. I must have been having fun during that tanks. I have yet to change the fuel filter, oil, and air fliter since I got it. By the looks of the fuel filter and air filter they look old or original. I hope to boost up the MPG by 1.

But as Oki said....that's not why you buy these trucks. I really have no plans to mod besides a K&N drop in. I would love to just do a 6lb lower to see 4lbs, tune and a weld in muffler, but I really shouldn't spend the money on a DD right now.

95rooster

3rd hand info passer
Established Member
I got 14.26 mpg avg over 770 miles today Mooresville NC to Little Rock AR. Kenne Bell JLP motor BTS race trans.

Users who are viewing this thread