HCM (head Cooling Mod) for all 4.6 / 5.4 DOHC Cobra

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
MMR is pleased to release its newest professional head cooling mod for 96-04 Cobra/DOHC engine applications.

This 100% USA Made professional kit includes Billet left and right cylinder head fittings, the passenger side fitting has two outlets so that it can be run with or without the factory heater core. This kit joins the cylinder head coolant flowpath eliminating hot spots and that dreaded "tick" caused by overheated and worn valve guides. Includes all hardware and seals for easy installation. Includes plug for those applications no longer using the heater core.

You can order here, cost is $169: MMR 1996 - 2004 Cobra / SVT Professional Head Cooling Mod (HCM) [437192] - $169.99 : Modular Motorsports, Home of the Worlds Fastest Modular Engines

hcM%204.6%20Cobra%20head%20cooling%20mod.jpg

hcm%20installed.jpg

HCM%20stock.jpg

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Does this eliminate or fullfil the need for the head cooling mod on the top of the heads?

We offer both style kits, both kits do the job, it simply depends on the application and the amount of space you have for which kit is best for you, the kit for the top of the heads is a easier install and fits all 96-04 Cobra and Mach one (but will not fit 03/04 Cobra when the stock lower manifold is used) so this kit is great for the 03/04 Cobra guys.

badaz04

Established Member
Ordered mine should be here tomorrow. Great group of guys ordered rotating assembly from them can't wait to get car back together

fastlane65

Starting lots of projects
Established Member
Can this be installed with engine and trans still in car, or is this one of those things you do while changing the clutch or pulling the engine for rebuild?

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Got mine in the mail but looks like the EGR tube is going to be in the way. Do you guys have instructions for these yet? I assume the coolant needs to be drained and then refilled and burped. Do you guys have all the procedures captured yet?
D

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Instructions are being written now, install is pretty simple and somewhat self explanatory, in regards to the EGR tube you can simply bend the tube around the kit, it needs very little tweaking.

Drac

Established Member
Purchased a set a few weeks ago and it is very well made ad the craftsmanship looks exceptional, as is on all MMR pieces.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Sorry to ask alot of NEWB questions regarding this, On mine I have a black bracket that uses the two bolt holes on the drivers side head. What are you supposed to do with this? If I use the hole at the 11-12 o'clock position the nipple points the wrong way. Also I only received 1 hose clamp on the short hose, are hose clamps not needed for the other positions?

I assume teflon tape is to be used on all fittings?

On another note is it okay for the EGR tube to sit on top of the head fitting? The EGR tube is pretty tricky to bend with everything in the car.
(transmission is removed)

Is this better suited for a Race setup over a Street setup with all emissions equipment?

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Correct, clamps are not required on the other positions (push lock style), only one bolt is use on the black bracket you mention, you can simply bend by hand the bracket or cut the second tab off. In regards to the EGR tube you simply bend the tube if you are still using the EGR - it is simple to do and not required for all applications.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Okay well. I had to remove the EGR tube because bending it and having it line up with the manifold in tight clearances is out of the question.

Now this..... Heater Core hose is ALOT bigger than the fitting thats enclosed.

IMG_0997_zps7c9ed49f.gif

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The fitting is the same size but the hoses swell over time because of the chemicals in the coolant, a proper hose clamp should certainly be used to make sure you have no leak - do not use the factory quick clamp!

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
The fitting is the same size but the hoses swell over time because of the chemicals in the coolant, a proper hose clamp should certainly be used to make sure you have no leak - do not use the factory quick clamp!

Got the kit installed it looks great! Can you guys sell me a EGR tube that has been bent to clear the freeze plug hole and still connect on each side? Bending on the car is not very feasible!

Users who are viewing this thread