Having trouble getting shifter in 6th gear

john11gt

Established Member
I went to the track the other day and everything was fine on the way home but the next day, I was on my way to work and it was super hard to get into 4,5,6 gears. By th time I got to work 4-5 were fine but sixth gear still gives me trouble.

It does go in gear but it only travels about a quarter the distance it usually does and doesn't feel like its in at all. It's the same way with the car not running.
M
there hasn't been any grinding or anything just difficult to get into gear. I think it might be a problem with the linkage or something? Does anyone have any idea what his could be?

Sorry if this is vague but I'm on my phone a work.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
I went to the track the other day and everything was fine on the way home but the next day, I was on my way to work and it was super hard to get into 4,5,6 gears. By th time I got to work 4-5 were fine but sixth gear still gives me trouble.

It does go in gear but it only travels about a quarter the distance it usually does and doesn't feel like its in at all. It's the same way with the car not running.
M
there hasn't been any grinding or anything just difficult to get into gear. I think it might be a problem with the linkage or something? Does anyone have any idea what his could be?

Sorry if this is vague but I'm on my phone a work.
Hi John11gt,

Have you brought this up to your dealer yet? You should speak to your service manager about this. He is in the best position to look into this for you and can check into any warranty, assistance, recalls, or customer satisfaction programs that may apply to your vehicle.

Also, remember repairs done at a Ford Dealer come with a 24 months/unlimited miles warranty. You can schedule an appointment online here. Keep me posted.

Deysha

skwerl

Banned
Wow, my local Ford Stealership wants a $120 down payment just to drop off your car to let a tech look at it. Some people may be unable to turn a screwdriver and be willing to pay ripoff dealership rape rates for simple jobs but not me. I'd at least try to take a look and see if the linkage is all secure. You may need to pull the center console or drop the front of the driveshaft for access, but it's all fairly simple once you can get access.

4300 miles on my car and the MT-82 is already falling apart, clunking and grinding. There's not enough money for me to let a local dealership monkey touch it, even if they manage to figure something out I'm still stuck with a crappy Chinese gearbox. My plan from before I bought the car was to replace the MT-82 with a T56 Magnum at the first sign of trouble. I guess I sort of expected it to last more than 3 months though. I'll run it until it breaks and then replace it. The chances of my car ending up in a local dealership service department are somewhere between zero and none.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Don't feel bad, I am on my second and soon third. The second one that was put it, Getrag forgot to install the input shaft seal and the dealer made me drive around for a month until they could look at it because "actual paying customers come first", mind you I work there in parts.... Now this one is grinding 3rd, not going into 1st while at a stop, o and the street in front of my house looks like the 60s from all the oil all over. Real happy with this car :kaboom: Best part is I am repeatedly told that I am to give a perfect survey or my employment status might be in jeopardy.

john11gt

Established Member
I dont plan on taking the car to the dealer, its out of warranty so Ill save my money.

It hasnt given me any problems the past few weeks, its still kind of stiff to get into 6th gear and the shifter still doesnt quite feel like its moving as far into gear as it should, it goes in with a click feeling but it goes in and none of the gears grind or give me any trouble, so Im kind of stumped what the deal was.

I was really hoping to get to the track with this cooler weather coming up and set some new PB's but Im nervous about taking my only car to the track now and dropping the clutch at 5k + rpm, lol. Ive been looking for a Ranger to buy for DD'ing but I havent found the right one yet, hopefully before the tracks close for the year Ill find one and be able to go back and let it rip.

Users who are viewing this thread