Have u guys heard of this coming up in our great state????

MR.SCOOPINATOR

Established Member
California Will Start Testing for ECU Tunes During Smog Checks Starting Next Week

If your car isn't running the factory software or a tune approved by the California Air Resources Board, you'll fail the test.

72ee435d-3834-4420-a55e-416409a4f419_1468348195.jpg

By Brian Silvestro
Jul 14, 2021

1426774302-screen-shot-2015-03-18-at-100648-pm.png?crop=1.00xw:0.891xh;0,0.png

FordYouTube
If you live in California and run an aftermarket tune on your car, you might want to think about flashing your ECU back to stock before heading out for your biennial Smog Check. Starting July 19, 2021, testing stations will begin to check whether cars are running OEM or California Air Resources Board (CARB)-approved tunes. If your car isn't, it'll fail the test.

The new policy, first highlighted by Car Bibles on Tuesday, is outlined in the California Bureau of Automotive Repair's Frequently Asked Questions section. From the webpage:

Beginning July 19, 2021, vehicles with software not provided by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or approved through a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO) will fail Smog Check.Before your vehicle will pass a Smog Check, you must have the vehicle’s software restored to the OEM software version. Once the software is restored, have your vehicle reinspected by a licensed Smog Check station. Note that vehicles initially directed to a STAR or Referee station must return to the same station type to complete the inspection process.If you believe the vehicle’s software is already OEM or CARB-approved and yet your vehicle failed Smog Check, schedule an inspection with the Smog Check Referee.If you unknowingly purchased a vehicle with illegally-modified software, you may file a complaint with BAR.
California is among the strictest regions on the planet when it comes to emissions policies, so it's not surprising to see the BAR implement a rule that it thinks will curb emissions by preventing cars from using aftermarket tunes that could increase said emissions, no matter how negligible that increase may be.

Tuning your car is one of the easiest and most effective mods you can do to a car, one that often provides measurable results, especially if the car in question is turbocharged. Do you think car owners should be required to run OEM or state-approved tunes in their cars? Do you own a car with a tune? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io

This commenting section is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information on their web site.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
When you take the bull by the horns , you will win.
If you let the bull use the horns on you ....
Make a stand !

Fat Boss

Established Member
At this point, I'm not sure why anyone lives in California.

Sent from my Potato

Hmmm, incredible job market, make tons of money on your house, a yuge variety of terrain/climates, probably the best driving roads in the country. I could go on. Have you been to CA or just rely on what you read on forums and FB?

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ftrevornace%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F02%2Flake-tahoe-2-1200x675.jpg

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmmm, incredible job market, make tons of money on your house, a yuge variety of terrain/climates, probably the best driving roads in the country. I could go on. Have you been to CA or just rely on what you read on forums and FB?

View attachment 1712292

You can work from home.
Every where houses are shooting through the roof.
Tons of states that have the same terrain/climates.
Last one is subjective.

California isn't the best place to live. In fact, US News ranked it the 24th best place to live...right in the middle haha

I have been to California more times than I can count. My grandparents lived in Palm Springs for 30 years, just sold their ridiculous house out there and couldn't get packed up and out of there fast enough.

Users who are viewing this thread