Have a Toyota sr5 4.7 on the hook

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I have an opportunity to buy a 2000 sr5 Toyota Tacoma v8 4.7. I had 180k just had t-belt, h20 pump, and rad replaced. Has tow package a/c auto and a cap. I have never considered aToyota, but this seems like a good deal for a daily runner $4500. Fill me in, as I know little to nothing on these trucks. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
2000 tacoma with a V8? If it really has a V8 it was swapped. I believe that era had a 3.4L V6. The Tundra of that year had a 4.7 V8 option.

Toyotas run f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I had a 1990 4Runner I purchased new and sold with 234,000 miles on it. Replaced the head gasket under warranty. That was the only issue with it. Also had a 2004 4Runner, also new, that I sold with 125,000 on it. No issues. None.

My 2016 Ex-Sport, on the other hand, I'm considering dumping with only 11,500 or so on the clock.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
2000 tacoma with a V8? If it really has a V8 it was swapped. I believe that era had a 3.4L V6. The Tundra of that year had a 4.7 V8 option.

Toyotas run f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I had a 1990 4Runner I purchased new and sold with 234,000 miles on it. Replaced the head gasket under warranty. That was the only issue with it. Also had a 2004 4Runner, also new, that I sold with 125,000 on it. No issues. None.

My 2016 Ex-Sport, on the other hand, I'm considering dumping with only 11,500 or so on the clock.

I have an 05 Taco I bought used. As usual, they cost an arm and a leg even used, but it was one owner and had 134k on the clock. Already put 10k miles on it and it's been a good truck. Replaced the wheel bearings and did maintenance on it for my own sanity. Otherwise, great truck.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
I'm Sure he means tundra unless typo... either way both the Taco and the Tundra are reliable trucks... the Tundra gets D**K gas mileage and watch the rust on both, see if the frame was replaced by Toyota at some point... should show up physically look nice or on the carfox.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Yes, it must be the Tundra then. Shows what I know. He's a good customer and just bought a new Ford F-250 loaded. I know it's stock. The Toyotas seem to retain the value, so if I don't like it, I should be able to wash out of it easily.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Yes, it must be the Tundra then. Shows what I know. He's a good customer and just bought a new Ford F-250 loaded. I know it's stock. The Toyotas seem to retain the value, so if I don't like it, I should be able to wash out of it easily.

Come into it honestly and be real, and you'll love it. No reason not to love those trucks. They are great. If you get upset it's a toyota, slap a ford or chevy badge on it and keep riding lol

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
It will take a lot for me to switch to a Toyota truck after the frame and camshaft issues.

Pretty much, GM and Ford trucks are the only ones I'll consider. Dodge has a great engine in the Cummins, but the rest of the truck falls apart around the engine.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
It will take a lot for me to switch to a Toyota truck after the frame and camshaft issues.

Pretty much, GM and Ford trucks are the only ones I'll consider. Dodge has a great engine in the Cummins, but the rest of the truck falls apart around the engine.

I'm going to have some commuting to do over the next couple months and really just want to keep the miles of my main truck. I definitely need a pickup. I have had rangers, they are pricey around here for the nice ones. I'm glad some have pointed out the potential for frame issues, I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks for the input!

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I can only speak about the 4.7 V8 from the Lexus side of things, but that engine has been bullet proof for us. The GX470 from 03-09 is ****ing legendary for reliability. radiator, T-belt maintenance and the occasional dead alternator are really all we have ever had to worry about.

The tundra is a great overall daily kind of truck. If you need something to tow on a regular basis Id stick with an F-150/250. But I personally have nothing but great things to say about the 4.7.

$4500 for a 1st gen Tundra with a fresh T-Belt, Water pump and Radiator? SCORE. 180k miles is just getting started for that engine. Have not heard or experience camshaft issues with the 4.7.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I can only speak about the 4.7 V8 from the Lexus side of things, but that engine has been bullet proof for us. The GX470 from 03-09 is ****ing legendary for reliability. radiator, T-belt maintenance and the occasional dead alternator are really all we have ever had to worry about.

The tundra is a great overall daily kind of truck. If you need something to tow on a regular basis Id stick with an F-150/250. But I personally have nothing but great things to say about the 4.7.

$4500 for a 1st gen Tundra with a fresh T-Belt, Water pump and Radiator? SCORE. 180k miles is just getting started for that engine. Have not heard or experience camshaft issues with the 4.7.

Funny you say that about the alternators, I just had it go out in September with 125k on the clock in my 4Runner. I've had the vehicle since 75k and other than that it has been completely reliable. I did change the t-belt (and water pump) at 101k and it looked new yet. I will not replace the t-belt again, too much of a hassle and I think 90k was a very conservative interval on it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
90k is very conservative for the T-Belt. Hell we have customers that have gone 180K and 15+ years on their factory T-Belt. It looked ROUGH coming out but it made it. Its definitely CYA on Toyota/Lexus' part.

They aren't all that hard to do, but Ive done hundreds of T-Belt replacements in my career so far. I understand its still a hassle, but 120K or 8 years is a reasonable real world expectancy.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member

Good to know. I wont be pulling anything, I have other trucks for that but may have a load of tools from time to time. We have a fairly steep grade mountain near by that I want to be able to keep up with traffic in the morning or get run over.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Get the VIN and run it through this page:

https://www.toyota.com/recall

It will let you know of any open recalls that truck may open.

I read on Wikipedia that there was also a ball joint recall. But its a recall so if its not been done just take it in and its covered. As for the frames, they were full frame replacements. No cost to the owner.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Have not heard or experience camshaft issues with the 4.7.
The 5.7 was the one breaking camshafts.

I don't recall hearing any issues with the 4.7, as far as I know, it is one of the best Toyota engines made regarding reliability.

I DO remember the sludge problems of the V6 and 4 cylinder engines. There was a class-action lawsuit on that one covering 2.5-million Toyotas made from 1997-2002 in which Toyota agreed to repair the engines up to eight years after purchase.

I realized 20 years ago that Toyota isn't any better or worse than all the other big manufacturers, but it still chaps my ass when I hear about how "reliable" they are. Their not any more or less reliable than any other car with comparable mileage in each segment.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Most of us in Toyota or Lexus shops have heard form tech reps that Pennzoil supplied shops had the worst of it. Something about how the non synthetic Pennzoil 5w-30 was formulated.

Ive used their Pennzoil 0W-20 Synthetic at my last shop. cars on multiple oil changes with the stuff has a weird.. film in the oil filter housing.

Ill still have to challenge you on that assertion man. UZ series V8 powered Toyotas and Lexus cars from 2000-2009 have all been rock solid. 04-06 Lexus LS430 is literally the best most reliable sedan Toyota/Lexus has produced to date.

I know I work for Lexus as a technician but I swear its the truth. Radiators, pressure caps and alternators are what can end a UZ series engine. The UZ architecture is bullet proof.

Users who are viewing this thread