Has this been done?

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
A young kid (22-23) moved next door to me and was telling me he owned a 03 Cobra before he moved here. He told me he had a custom dual Holley 4b setup with a big shot of nitros running 9's. I questioned him about his tuner and he said it was Mickey Johnson from Jax. Fl. I smelled BS and brushed off further talk of cars.

YoungJim

Established Member
You mean 4lbs more boost, or a 4 barrel carb? Either way, I think it would take one hell of a nitrous system to get an '03 into a 9 second 1/4 mile. A 9 sec 1/8 mile maybe, I dunno too much about 1/8 mile racing.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
That was what I asked about the pulleys. But he said 2 Holley 4 barrel carbs. I don't know what kind of computer system he would have to run,as well as intake, blower etc.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Why would anyone attemp such a thing, other than to be different. My buddy was listening to whole thing and rolled off laughing, cause I normally will call bs, but he just moved in and I didn't want to make and enemy right off.

droptop351

HP maniac
Established Member
theres a few mod motors around with carb setups I think Big Al has a carb setup on his 5.4, but theres just no way i could see a carb on 03 cobra with the low compression motors these cars would be pusses on a carb without the blower. Maybe if he had motor completely rebuilt higher compression and a BIG SHOT maybe heh

1B@D$NAKE

BAR-NONE
Established Member
Miamifan1354 said:
If he did it, we would have heard about it. No chance it's real.

U guys that own mustangs ever read the muscle mustang and fast fords! Well instead of just lookin at pics you should read a few pages and youll notice that u can put a carb on a modular motor! They do make them for the 03 04 cobra!

YoungJim

Established Member
What is at issue is whether or not a Cobra with 2 4-bbl carbs and some nitrous can go nines. Like Miami said, had someone done it - not that its impossible - it probably would have gotten some publicity.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
First I've ever heard of this. Sure the fuel injection can be replaced with a carb setup, but it wouldn't be as efficient as a FI setup. The biggest question I would have is why would you even want to do it?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
CobraBob said:
First I've ever heard of this. Sure the fuel injection can be replaced with a carb setup, but it wouldn't be as efficient as a FI setup. The biggest question I would have is why would you even want to do it?

+1 Took the words right out of my mouth.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
No way. I would have to see it to believe it. The amount of work involved would be tremendous. You would have to redo the entire ignition system, fuel system, etc etc to go that route. You couldn't use computer controls on those systems and ignore the fuel system by going to carbs. It just doesn't work that way. And trying to run carbs on the Terminator returnless system would be nearly impossible. You may want to try carbs on a Cobra engine in an old Mustang, etc...but to eliminate the fuel delivery system in one of these cars and going to carbs just isn't in the cards. You would even have PATS issues by removing the ECM...so I don't believe him. Just a kid blowing smoke where the sun don't shine!

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Yea, that was what I was thinking. I posted over a jaxracing, but no reply yet. He's a young kid and actually went to school with my son, so that may have prodded him to stretch his story some. I just wanted to confirm that he was puffin the poot pipe.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Why on earth would anyone even consider swapping out a fuel injection systems for a Carburator? Besides the 4.6 is too small to pull enough vacuum for a dual four barrel set-up to get enough signal. The thing would be impossible to tune and would never run right. Dumb!

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
MSD makes a computer to run a carb set-up on the 4.6 and it controls everything.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Turkish said:
MSD makes a computer to run a carb set-up on the 4.6 and it controls everything.

So does FAST and others. But I'm telling you, it didn't happen on a Cobra. On a retrofit into an older chassis...yes. But not on this car. You have too many obstacles to overcome as I mentioned above. PATS and fuel being two of the major obstacles.

Users who are viewing this thread