Has anyone upgraded to the Tranzilla?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have been looking at the 6 speed upgrade offerings for our cars to get into a direct shifter option and get away from the oem divorced shifter. Has anyone bought and installed a Tranzilla? I like the additional gear ratio options and was even thinking I could get back into the close gear spread feel of my 1971 429 Super Cobra Jet drag pack Mach 1's with a 2.29 first gear and a 4.10 in the 8.8?

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
2.97 1.78 1.30 1-1 0.80 0.63
2.97 2.07 1.43 1-1 0.80 0.63
2.97 2.07 1.43 1-1 0.74 0.50
2.66 1.78 1.30 1-1 0.80 0.63
2.66 1.78 1.30 1-1 0.74 0.50
2.29 1.60 1.21 1-1 0.82 0.67*
* closed ratio

The oem top choice 1971 429SCJ Mach 1's with the Drag Pack option was a 2.32 first gear 4 speed Top Loader and a 4.11 Detroit Locker, so the gear spread would be very similar...…..and then overdrive(s) to calm everything down on the highway!!! The best of both worlds!

R

Last edited:

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Choosing the wrong gear ratios for your power band can take the fun out of driving it. The close ratio gears are great for high rpm road race cars where it stays in the power band, using the same set up on a turbo car that loves a long legged set up and you won’t be able to take advantage of the tq the turbos deliver. I had D&D build a magnum for me but ended up trading the car before getting to try it out. I did the 2.66 1st and had the .74 5th and .50 6th for low rpm freeway. I would do something similar again, probably with the 2.97 first next time

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Choosing the wrong gear ratios for your power band can take the fun out of driving it. The close ratio gears are great for high rpm road race cars where it stays in the power band, using the same set up on a turbo car that loves a long legged set up and you won’t be able to take advantage of the tq the turbos deliver. I had D&D build a magnum for me but ended up trading the car before getting to try it out. I did the 2.66 1st and had the .74 5th and .50 6th for low rpm freeway. I would do something similar again, probably with the 2.97 first next time

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Thanks for your input, I find that while the 2.97 spins the engine quickly in 1st and actually can be useless because the engine gets to the rpm's so quickly with a bigger rear end gear that 2nd has to be grabbed immediately, then the rpm drop......The drop between 1st and second is quite big with a 1st gear that is almost 3.00 to 1. I also considered the 2.66 1st, it may be a decent compromise.

I always liked the 71 429 drag pack sound........It sounded like a huge displacement dirt bike, the rpms stayed in relatively the same range all the way through the pull with minimal rpm drop between shifts.

R

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
You nailed it with the 2.97. Big inch motors (funny that they were lower in hp) used the tq to get them rolling but we’re still different that today’s stuff. Tvs and roots style are on the boost immediately, turbos roll into it and will pull and pull. You will find your preference from some trial and error. Catch rides in different builds and see how they work and what’s well sorted out.
Old school stuff had a 2500 rpm prime working range, todays vvt has a much broader range or working rpm. I would go out and play more before dropping a ton on a transmission. Learning others setups and how they work will help

Users who are viewing this thread