Has anyone tried Sping Rubbers?

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
I have been tightening up the IRS and getting more camber dialed in, but with stock springs I still get a lot of body roll. I drive the car 7K-9K miles a year and lowered springs would pose a problem. Has anyone tried using spring rubbers to increase the spring rate when going on track? It seems like a simple fix to stiffen up for the track and then yank them out for the street. Steele makes various spring rubbers - $50 each.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I have not but I will offer this. I have H&R Race Springs with 800lb rate up front and still have ridiculous body roll. It was very apparent today in the pics which the track photographer took. Since the budget this year will not allow for new Konis and coilovers I am going to go with MM's secondary recommendation and order Eibach's anti-sway bars and see if that helps.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Chris, the H&R race springs don't lower the car as much as the sport models. Just order a set of Poly spring isolators for the install. They won't compress as much as rubber ones. You will still lower the car about 1.25", but the only place that would pose a problem may be the curb at the front of your driveway.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Coil-overs. Raise the ride height back to near stock, lower it down when you head to the track? I dont know if this is an option but just a thought.

racebronco2

Established Member
I have not but I will offer this. I have H&R Race Springs with 800lb rate up front and still have ridiculous body roll. It was very apparent today in the pics which the track photographer took. Since the budget this year will not allow for new Konis and coilovers I am going to go with MM's secondary recommendation and order Eibach's anti-sway bars and see if that helps.

I have 400lbs coil-over front and 700rear coil-overs with the eibach rear swaybar and still have some body roll. Two of us bought the front and rear eibach bars and had to remove the eibach front swaybar because it would make the car plow more then stock, it did reduce the body roll but the cost was excessive plowing.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I think a lot of this depends on what you are running for tires.

H&R race springs on an 03-04 Cobra when using sticky track rubber.....are woefully inadequate. Running a harder tire doesn't present as much of a problem. See the following picture....I use it often to explain the amount of roll you can get from these springs when using sticky rubber.

800LDIG.gif

Now...here is the same turn, on the same rubber, with MM coil overs running 400/600 coils.. The angle of the shot is different, but you get the idea on the amount of roll reduction.

400-600CO.gif

Last edited:

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
I have 400lbs coil-over front and 700rear coil-overs with the eibach rear swaybar and still have some body roll. Two of us bought the front and rear eibach bars and had to remove the eibach front swaybar because it would make the car plow more then stock, it did reduce the body roll but the cost was excessive plowing.

I would have thought just the opposite: more bar in front and less in rear. Plowing is an issue that I hope to reduce by bumping camber to -2.5 to -3.0 and opening up the toe a little.

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
I think a lot of this depends on what you are running for tires.

H&R race springs on an 03-04 Cobra when using sticky track rubber.....are woefully inadequate. Running a harder tire doesn't present as much of a problem. See the following picture....I use it often to explain the amount of roll you can get from these springs when using sticky rubber.

800LDIG.gif

Now...here is the same turn, on the same rubber, with MM coil overs running 400/600 coils.. The angle of the shot is different, but you get the idea on the amount of roll reduction.

400-600CO.gif

I was running Kumho 710s and am now running Hoosier KONIs. The KONIs are definitely harder. The body roll on your car is reduced significantly...unless the passenger in photo #1 weighed over 250 lb. :) Coil-overs seem to be the way to go. I'll put them on the list. I just did c/c plates, SFCs, and poly bushings. Next is the roll bar, seats, and harnesses. I was just looking for a relatively easy and cheap way to stiffen the ride a little.

Users who are viewing this thread