Has anyone shipped something big lately?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have a guy interested in my Bassani headers and mid pipe. The only issue is I live in California and he lives in South Carolina. Has anyone shipped anything that big lately? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for him to buy mine versus spending a little extra for something new.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I have a guy interested in my Bassani headers and mid pipe. The only issue is I live in California and he lives in South Carolina. Has anyone shipped anything that big lately? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it for him to buy mine versus spending a little extra for something new.
You could try getting it weighed and get an approximate box size for some quotes. Given the current state of EPA hand wringing, your potential buyer may prefer the private sale regardless of shipping cost.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd be less concerned with cost and more concerned with someone destroying it or loosing it in transit.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Put it on a pallet, get a transportation quote from Dohrn. Stupid cheap, stupid fast.

Blown 89

Established Member
Logistics is a large part of my job so here's my take:

If you use LTL (Less Than Truckload) you need to get it on a pallet and weigh it to know what shipping will cost. There are a bunch of shipping brokers that act like priceline that you'll want to price it through. Which carrier is cheaper will depend on the shipping lanes you're using. YRC's general quote is usually the most competitive if you don't have accounts anywhere.

Given the state of LTL right now you're probably best off making a box and shipping it through FedEx or UPS. I don't ship things of that size through FedEx so so take that with a grain of salt. It's generally easier for individuals to get good rates through them. If you know someone with a FedEx account utilize it.

I would offer my accounts but I'm not interested in taking on the liability. If you want some help navigating the options I'd be happy to help.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Headers are big?

They're mid length headers. But can be broken down as the collectors are slip fit. I think the X section of the mid pipe will take up the most room.

Logistics is a large part of my job so here's my take:

If you use LTL (Less Than Truckload) you need to get it on a pallet and weigh it to know what shipping will cost. There are a bunch of shipping brokers that act like priceline that you'll want to price it through. Which carrier is cheaper will depend on the shipping lanes you're using. YRC's general quote is usually the most competitive if you don't have accounts anywhere.

Given the state of LTL right now you're probably best off making a box and shipping it through FedEx or UPS. I don't ship things of that size through FedEx so so take that with a grain of salt. It's generally easier for individuals to get good rates through them. If you know someone with a FedEx account utilize it.

I would offer my accounts but I'm not interested in taking on the liability. If you want some help navigating the options I'd be happy to help.

I appreciate the insight. I wouldn't want someone I haven't met to take the chance.

Last edited:

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Commercial shipping is crazy expensive Bob. I had a guy ship me his radiator support cover to paint. As you know it weighs nothing, but the box is long.

From New York to El Paso cost him $120 round trip and that was way before all this COVID-19 crap. Prices have only gone up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cobracide

Established Member
(1) weight - easily found on the internets
(2) insurance - cheap through ups or fed ex
(3) estimate - online very easy, you may just need to create an account for ups/fedex
(4) done

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Put it on a pallet, get a transportation quote from Dohrn. Stupid cheap, stupid fast.

This. Try other freight companies as well.

A pallet this size would fall under “minimum”pricing guidelines and likely be under $100 to get from SoCal to S Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Prices have really spiked over summer for freight :( still shipped a few mid pipes and cat backs (coast to coast). If your looking for a single box I’d try uHaul as for as shipping goes, try using www.shipping.com.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I had 2 Corbeau seats shipped to me on a pallet. One arrived bent beyond repair. When I tried to claim it under insurance they only gave me 1/2 what I paid after arguing for over a week.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
UPS is just about always more expensive than FedEx. But, UPS also has better visibility and is overall more consistent/reliable. 16 years at UPS and that's my takeaway.

I'm not sure if FedEx does it, but UPS goes off of dimensional weight. That's why the 10lb part in a giant box costs so much; they go by how much space it takes up in the trailer.

I'm in freight now, but my company doesn't service either area so I can't be of much assistance, unfortunately. Other than rattling off some somewhat unnecessary info, of course. lol

Users who are viewing this thread