Has anyone removed the clear lense for gauge cluster?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I don't mean just unbolting the lense and bezel from the factory gauge cluster but actually seperating the clear lense from the bezel its bonded to?

I want to paint the bezel portion and then reglue the clear lense back in place. I figured some heat would work, but I don't want to melt it either.

Anyone succesfully seperated the 2 parts?

Thanks,
Ken

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I sized that up when I removed mine, I just wanted to seperate it to clean the lense but it looked like such a PITA I just ordered a new assembly rather than cleaning mine... I think you'd have a hard time seperating the two without breaking it..

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
^^^Where have you been?I remember a while back you were going somewhere for work,is that right?

black 10th vert

Established Member
It can definitely be done, as mine is separate now (bought it that way). The car came with the UPR billet aluminum gauge surround piece, and that has to be glued to the black part with clear silicone. I have taken it apart to clean out some annoying dust that had gotten in there, and having it separated makes that task much easier! It looked to me like you had to cut the bonded areas carefully with a fine hacksaw blade, or something similar. Maybe the UPR website would have installation directions for that billet part that would walk you through the separation technique?

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member

SpectorV

Established Member
i tried to remove one before and made a mess of it.. it can be done but you have to be careful, also when putting it back on... sometimes the adhesive will mess up the clear part and you can see it FYI so be careful here as well.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
If I remember correctly, the clear lense comes right off. I installed a Hilton boost overlay and had no problems getting to the gauge face.

+1, just a series of "torque" bolts.

I think you mean "torx" bolts. :thumbsup:

As I said in my original post starting this thread. I don't mean just removing the bezel and lense as one piece, which yes is just the 8 torx screws. I want to seperate the clear lense from the bezel its bonded to, which has nothing to do with changing gauge faces or adding overlays.

If I were just cleaning it I would buy another, but I am painting the bezel behind the clear lense.

I'll figure it out!
KK

Users who are viewing this thread