Has anyone installed the S1 Sequential Shifter in a Cobra?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
This sounds like it operates like a typical motorcycle transmission, sequential. Is that correct?
Not exactly!! It's an inline gate push pull shifter but it's not all clicks back to upshift and all clicks forward to downshift like a motorcycle. Nuetral is in the middle, push straight forward for 1st, pull all the way back for 2nd, push all the way forward for 3rd, pull all the way back for 4th, etc. The only difference from a traditional H pattern shifter is everything is straight forward and straight back! I believe there is a separate lever you move to to allow the shift direction to switch to downshift!!

Banshee06

Established Member
The shifter stays in the middle pull down to upshift. Push the lever up to downshift it spring loaded to come back to center.
To get reverse there is another lever you turn and then pull shifter down to get reverse.
I believe this is how it works.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I think he means ya can't clutch to a stop and downshift straight from 5th to First!

Yeah you understood what I meant, gotta bump all the gears on the way down to first. I mean in neutral no big deal but seems like unnecessary wear. Not for a DD anyway I guess, just inconvenient in that one situation.

Banshee06

Established Member
Yeah you understood what I meant, gotta bump all the gears on the way down to first. I mean in neutral no big deal but seems like unnecessary wear. Not for a DD anyway I guess, just inconvenient in that one situation.
Yeah just like on a motorcycle.
Which I am very used too.
But you cant miss a gear this way and I have with current shifter actually bent the 3rd 4th gear shifting work trying to jam it to fast.

Dave.O

Established Member

Yeah I got that, I ride dirt bikes
But it’s not that big of a deal to coast in neutral and clank down to 1st

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
The shifter stays in the middle pull down to upshift. Push the lever up to downshift it spring loaded to come back to center.
To get reverse there is another lever you turn and then pull shifter down to get reverse.
I believe this is how it works.
Hmm
That's not the way I remember them being! You're describing the pattern of a ratchet shifter for automatic which is what I have! I was always of the understanding that they still patterned the odd gears forward and even gears back so you still had the the forward back forward back motion to row through the gears!
Hopefully I'm wrong! The ratchet shifter pattern like a motorcycle would be far better!!
Post up when you get it and have a chance to read up a bit!! (Like I even have to say that lol).

Ken

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Hmm
That's not the way I remember them being! You're describing the pattern of a ratchet shifter for automatic which is what I have! I was always of the understanding that they still patterned the odd gears forward and even gears back so you still had the the forward back forward back motion to row through the gears!
Hopefully I'm wrong! The ratchet shifter pattern like a motorcycle would be far better!!
Post up when you get it and have a chance to read up a bit!! (Like I even have to say that lol).

Ken

Page 7
http://www.s1sequential.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/ford_magnum-xl-fitting-instructions.pdf

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Dumb question.... With this set up do you still need to use the clutch? Or does it now shift fast enough the clutch isn't needed?

wckdvnm

Established Member
Dumb question.... With this set up do you still need to use the clutch? Or does it now shift fast enough the clutch isn't needed?

If it’s similar to the one used for the R32-34 you’d only have to lift slightly off the throttle so you don’t destroy the gears. But those are faceplated and straight cut for the shifter. Not sure a stock T-56 could take abuse like that... probably wrong.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
If it’s similar to the one used for the R32-34 you’d only have to lift slightly off the throttle so you don’t destroy the gears. But those are faceplated and straight cut for the shifter. Not sure a stock T-56 could take abuse like that... probably wrong.

Still use the clutch. Sure with something like a WOTBox you can just stab it.

Wonder if you could use a momentary switch on the sifter instead of the clutch switch and get away with it. Cant be good for your synchro. Faceplated would be nuts. Check out their youtube videos.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Still use the clutch. Sure with something like a WOTBox you can just stab it.

Wonder if you could use a momentary switch on the sifter instead of the clutch switch and get away with it. Cant be good for your synchro. Faceplated would be nuts. Check out their youtube videos.

I was thinking the same idea; I’m sure B2W faceplated the whole nine in a twins car would be a whole lot of fun.

Banshee06

Established Member
20200123_142930_compress37_resize_57.jpg

Attachments

• 20200123_142930_compress37.jpg
    20200123_142930_compress37.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 20200123_142930_compress37_resize_57.jpg
    20200123_142930_compress37_resize_57.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 183

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Are you installing or having a shop do it? I’d be a little nervous about opening up the case around the shifter lol.
Also looks like it wouldn’t fit without trans tunnel mods (or cutting it open) if running a magnum

Banshee06

Established Member
I am going to have a guy who is a mechanic friend do it for me.
He is currently putting a supercharged Coyote motor in a 67 fastback Mustang so he said about a month till he can do it for me. And he is very excited to do it and try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread