Has anyone else seen Whiteline Rear Uppers crack like this?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I think you will. If it doesnt perform or fails its warrantied.

I think JLT and BMR both have something to gain by talking smack about UPR. Ill say this, JLT has had issues with their intakes being the advertised diameter, and their oil separators are novelties as well with a premium price.

I know this because Ive had their intakes and separators and was underwhelmed with their performance over the course of a few years. Lund Racing even confirmed they have had a JLT tax at one point because of the issue between the supplied MAF transfer data and the actual tube.

Switched to a 120mm PMAS and my driveability quirks went away. Switched to a UPR oil separator and I have significantly less oil in my supercharger. Not perfect, but much more effective. My experiences of course, YMMV.

The one JLT item i still have on my car is the differential breather catch can. Seems to work well. :D

96gt02

Established Member
Agreed with all of the above, ive had nothing but issues with BMR bushings, cracking and super noisy on my 800 HP GT500, maybe less power GT are fine which is most of what your hear about anyway. Honestly ive had less issues with whiteline then BMR but neither is great for high power

PM-Performance

Established Member
Agreed with all of the above, ive had nothing but issues with BMR bushings, cracking and super noisy on my 800 HP GT500, maybe less power GT are fine which is most of what your hear about anyway. Honestly ive had less issues with whiteline then BMR but neither is great for high power
ugh, this sucks to hear after I just bought a new arm and mount @$400 price tag
The thing that irked me about the replacement Whiteline arm coming is that they said to take off the old mount and go back to the stock mount. That doesn't jive well with me logically. Esp after they blatantly told me to just sell it and go with BMR. lol
Shit everyone played these BMR up soo much. Everyone says BMR or nothing!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know what these guys are doing to their poly bushings, but rubber and poly are not going to hold up well to drag radials or slicks. Also if you don't use a synthetic grease on them, they will degrade over time. If you're beating up rod ends on the street, just think what they're doing to the thin metal brackets and undercarriage of your car.

Bushings are at best a compromise and a maintenance item. I've run rod ends and, IMO, they don't belong on a street car. If you want to run one, by all means do so. Maybe you drive better roads than I do, or you're just a hard-core, road warrior. Any bushing will eventually wear and/or loosen as you rack up miles. It's too bad no one makes bushings out of delrin, but they'd probably come at a cost higher than rod ends. They're also less forgiving than poly.

I'm pretty sure all poly bushings come from the same manufacturers, so if a poly bushing fails, I wouldn't say the arm manufacturer makes a mid-level arm. Perhaps you chose the wrong bushing material for your application. If the arm supporting the bushing fails, that's another story. I use BMR because they're well engineered, well constructed and have less fitment issues than other stuff I've tried. Any arm I own with a rod end is sitting in storage, but then my car is a driver. It's just a few hours of wrenching away from road warrior, but those events are few and far between.

Whiteline uses some other type of proprietary synthetic bushing material that is closer to rubber than poly in terms of firmness and comfort. Pick your poison on how you intend to use the car and expect, at some point, you'll either be changing rod ends or bushings.

merkyworks

Established Member
It's too bad no one makes bushings out of delrin, but they'd probably come at a cost higher than rod ends. They're also less forgiving than poly.

@lexustech48 if you were looking for something in between poly and hiem take a look at Cortex LCA's. They are using Currie Johnny Joints which kind of gives the best of both worlds and can be rebuilt. Been running these for a while now and have no complaints.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I run a full BMR setup in the rear my 08 GT (450 RWHP) -- LCAs, UCA, panhard, panhard brace, relocation brackets, sway bars. Its a street car and obviously not 800 HP, but the poly bushings have (so far) been fine. I greased the shit out of them, and I used only synthetic grease on the outsides and for the injections.

I will say the UCA mount I got did not fit properly. I didn't want to wait for a new one to be shipped, so I ended up keeping the OEM mount and using it with the BMR adjustable UCA. Returned the BMR piece. Before I go for too much power in the future, I'll probably double back to upgrade that mount.

My only beef is how much all the parts increased the gear whine. I struggled to hear anything out of my 4.10s with stock suspension. With the poly bushings, the whine increased considerably.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I run a full BMR setup in the rear my 08 GT (450 RWHP) -- LCAs, UCA, panhard, panhard brace, relocation brackets, sway bars. Its a street car and obviously not 800 HP, but the poly bushings have (so far) been fine. I greased the shit out of them, and I used only synthetic grease on the outsides and for the injections.

I will say the UCA mount I got did not fit properly. I didn't want to wait for a new one to be shipped, so I ended up keeping the OEM mount and using it with the BMR adjustable UCA. Returned the BMR piece. Before I go for too much power in the future, I'll probably double back to upgrade that mount.

My only beef is how much all the parts increased the gear whine. I struggled to hear anything out of my 4.10s with stock suspension. With the poly bushings, the whine increased considerably.
Truth here in your statement. But, thats just the nature of the 3 link beast with the S197 8.8". I struggled mightily with the gear howl of the 3.73s once they had a few passes on them on prep.

I said F it and went all in with the BMR diff bushing upgrade. When I installed my FRPP 4.10s, howl went away, but after 3 passes on prep some whine came back. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING like the 3.73s.

Im considering a set of US Gears's Lightning 3.90's. Get my trap speed back up but still have better mechanical advantage than the 3.73s. Plus the Lightning finish should *hopefully* reduce or eliminate whine after a few hard passes on the gears.

96gt02

Established Member
True that, the stock 3.73 whine like a mofo, my 13 GT was pretty terrible but my 12 gt500 isnt as awful at least comparing stock for stock suspension and whine.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
My OEM 3.55s didn't make a peep. I had my 4.10s installed by a VERY reputable shop when my suspension was still stock .... I had to make them redo it twice because of decel whine .... after the third attempt, the whine was all but gone.

Then I did the suspension changes, and the whine suddenly became louder than before I made them redo it, LOL.

Makes me wonder how loud the whine would be if I hadn't made them fix it and then I installed the poly stuff!

Side note: When I first complained about the whine with the 4.10s, the first thing the shop owner asked was whether I had aftermarket LCAs ....

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Poly is not going to absorb vibrations like a rubber bushing will. I don't know if it will help, but putting sound deadener (viscoelastic damper) along the center of the rear seat well where the bolt for the UCA bracket goes may help absorb some of that sound. I don't have what much whine coming into my car, but I've had these arms in my car long enough to where I don't remember what it used to sound like.

PM-Performance

Established Member
My OEM 3.55s didn't make a peep. I had my 4.10s installed by a VERY reputable shop when my suspension was still stock .... I had to make them redo it twice because of decel whine .... after the third attempt, the whine was all but gone.

Then I did the suspension changes, and the whine suddenly became louder than before I made them redo it, LOL.

Makes me wonder how loud the whine would be if I hadn't made them fix it and then I installed the poly stuff!

Side note: When I first complained about the whine with the 4.10s, the first thing the shop owner asked was whether I had aftermarket LCAs ....

My 373's whine like a mother!

96gt02

Established Member
I have sound deadner on the entire rear half of my car, didnt help the whine or suspension noises at all, just less vibrations from the exhaust and road noise.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I have sound deadner on the entire rear half of my car, didnt help the whine or suspension noises at all, just less vibrations from the exhaust and road noise.

Yea, from what I read, hearing more gear whine is to be expected with the aftermarket, non-rubber, bushings . . . and sound dampening materials won't do much to stop that high pitched frequency.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

It's a trade off. Stiffer bushings are going to cause more gear noise to get through. Try hard mounting a diff to a cradle with aluminum bushings and then mounting that cradle to the car with Delrin bushings. It gets loud quick. Thankfully between the exhaust and stereo I can drown it out.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Whiteline is the "Harbor Freight" of suspension parts...
I don't know I would go that far. Maybe these days they are, but they were never like that back in the 90's to maybe mid 2000's
i will say I see tons of finish problems for them though and I can say for certain this specific piece was not spec'd for the kind of abuse these cars can put on a rear. So maybe they started dishing off to China as of the last few years. Whiteline was quite as well known as Eibach years ago if my memory serves me.

None the less I have my BMR unit coming today. I am still hearing people now say BMR is mediocre, so its a gamble either way I guess

RBB

Established Member
I’ve been pretty happy with my BMR components. I’ve had the rod end LCAs installed for 4 years now and they’re still going strong after plenty of passes. Likewise with the ultimate UCA with the spherical bearing.

My 3.73s whine like crazy, have rebuilt the diff twice now. I’m going 9” next time it shits the bed.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
I’ve been pretty happy with my BMR components. I’ve had the rod end LCAs installed for 4 years now and they’re still going strong after plenty of passes. Likewise with the ultimate UCA with the spherical bearing.

My 3.73s whine like crazy, have rebuilt the diff twice now. I’m going 9” next time it shits the bed.

I bet you wouldn't feel your gears "whine like crazy" if the stock LCAs were on there with the rubber bushings. The change was pretty dramatic for me when I upgraded all that rear suspension stuff.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Interesting. See I was always told UPR steals everyone elses designs and then dishes out to China to make the parts.

I have personally been to the BMR location here in the Tampa area, met Kelly and some of the other guys, seen the jigs to hold parts for welding, seen the workers building parts for specific applications, seen the parts being readied for powder coating. I did not see any Chinese workers.......

^^^^My personal first hand experience.

R

Users who are viewing this thread