Has anyone driven a 2021 Raptor?

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I wanted to know if any of you have driven a 2021 Raptor and what you thought. How does it ride compared to a regular F-150. How do you like the new exhaust?

I'm thinking about ordering one to replace my '19 Platinum. I also have a '21 XLT for a work truck and in comparison to my '19 with with the 6.5' bed I think the 5.5' XLT rides a lot better.

Also I won't be ordering the 37" tires. I looked at the TRX but 300 mile ranges are unacceptable to me. The new Sierra looks really nice and I like the 6.2 but it's a GM and to keep it short, no matter how polished a turd is it's still a turd.

If I don't get the Raptor I'll either get a new Platinum or King Ranch or keep my '19 and get 360 Spyder.

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
@7998 I have a 2020 Raptor and I test drove a 2021. I love everything about my 2020 and I don't even mind the exhaust note.

That said, the 2021 is an improvement in every way over my 2020 except the styling. I thought my 2020 rode really nicely but the 2021 was even better and even more compliant over rough roads. The only things I didn't like, which is subjective, is the centre infotainment, the styling, and I liked the seats in my 2020 more. Power wise, it felt the same as my 2020.

The Raptors are bad ass trucks. I have 12k miles on my 2020 and it tows my trailer+track car with zero issue. You won't be disappointed with it.

I would wait for the Raptor R with the V8 before deciding on anything.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
@7998 I have a 2020 Raptor and I test drove a 2021. I love everything about my 2020 and I don't even mind the exhaust note.

That said, the 2021 is an improvement in every way over my 2020 except the styling. I thought my 2020 rode really nicely but the 2021 was even better and even more compliant over rough roads. The only things I didn't like, which is subjective, is the centre infotainment, the styling, and I liked the seats in my 2020 more. Power wise, it felt the same as my 2020.

The Raptors are bad ass trucks. I have 12k miles on my 2020 and it tows my trailer+track car with zero issue. You won't be disappointed with it.

I would wait for the Raptor R with the V8 before deciding on anything.

I wish I could drive one first but nobody has one. I'm happy to hear about the towing because I do tow my Kubota TLB and get mulch and stone with my utility trailer.
I'm more worried about the Raptor having a sloppy ride in comparison to my Platinum.

I briefly thought about the R but for one it'll be in short supply with huge ADM's, and if I'm going to spend over $100k it'll have a stag or prancing horse on the hood not a blue oval.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I wish I could drive one first but nobody has one. I'm happy to hear about the towing because I do tow my Kubota TLB and get mulch and stone with my utility trailer.
I'm more worried about the Raptor having a sloppy ride in comparison to my Platinum.

I briefly thought about the R but for one it'll be in short supply with huge ADM's, and if I'm going to spend over $100k it'll have a stag or prancing horse on the hood not a blue oval.
The ride on the Raptor should be far better than the platinum. Or it at least felt that way when I drove a platinum last. That was actually another reason why I bought the Raptor, it rode way nicer than any truck I test driven.

Oh, and you can do fun things like this :)

SilverStreak02

Established Member
I get 400+ miles per tank with my TRX……just saying.….
711CEC84-F0C2-450E-A503-92FC1408C760.jpeg

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
I wouldn't get a Raptor if ride quality is your top priority. I'm sure the gen 3 rides better than the gen 2, but it's best suited for offroad. My 2020 Raptor was livable as a DD, but just felt sloppy and got worse as it got more miles on it. Tire chop after only 5000 miles is proof they don't have enough shock control for a DD.

I traded mine for a 21 F150 because the resale was crazy high and I couldn't be happier that I did. If you want to drive fast offroad and can do it often get the Raptor for sure. The trade off is well worth it if you can use it the way it meant to be used.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I wouldn't get a Raptor if ride quality is your top priority. I'm sure the gen 3 rides better than the gen 2, but it's best suited for offroad. My 2020 Raptor was livable as a DD, but just felt sloppy and got worse as it got more miles on it. Tire chop after only 5000 miles is proof they don't have enough shock control for a DD.

I traded mine for a 21 F150 because the resale was crazy high and I couldn't be happier that I did. If you want to drive fast offroad and can do it often get the Raptor for sure. The trade off is well worth it if you can use it the way it meant to be used.

Well that sucks. It also conflicts what was said up top. I like the way my '19 rides and my '21 rides even nicer, though it's hardly noticeably.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Well that sucks. It also conflicts what was said up top. I like the way my '19 rides and my '21 rides even nicer, though it's hardly noticeably.
I'd find a used 2020 or 2021 near you and test drive that. Since it is used, they are more likely to let you test drive it or ask someone on the Raptor FB page.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I'd find a used 2020 or 2021 near you and test drive that. Since it is used, they are more likely to let you test drive it or ask someone on the Raptor FB page.

That's a good idea. I can't imagine the rear coil springs making it ride worse. And correct me if I'm wrong the front suspension isn't radically changed. So a 2020 will give me a feel for the differences between my Platinum and the Raptor.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
No comparison between my 18 XLT and my 20 Raptor. I dig the looks of the Gen2 better than the Gen3 but everything is better on the Gen3. Pretty sure you would be happy. The ride won't be as good as a regular F150 however.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
No comparison between my 18 XLT and my 20 Raptor. I dig the looks of the Gen2 better than the Gen3 but everything is better on the Gen3. Pretty sure you would be happy. The ride won't be as good as a regular F150 however.

Well that's not what I wanted to hear. I found a 2020 that's local. I'll try to get over there and test drive it and make my own determination.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well that's not what I wanted to hear. I found a 2020 that's local. I'll try to get over there and test drive it and make my own determination.
My father in law bought a new 2020 F150 2 wheel loaded and that is a Caddy compared to my Raptor. But I just did a trip to West Florida from SC and it was great. I think it's whatever you really want but the Raptor drives fine and I bet the Gen3 is even better.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
This thread is so confusing. People comparing the 18-20 like they are different generations, people talking about regular 150s pretending or not that they ride better than the gen 3. Is the gen 3 a 21 or 22 truck.

The gen 3 is so different than anything else on the market, start a new thread unless you’ve driven gen 3.

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
This thread is so confusing. People comparing the 18-20 like they are different generations, people talking about regular 150s pretending or not that they ride better than the gen 3. Is the gen 3 a 21 or 22 truck.

Then gen 3 is so different than anything else on the market, start a new thread unless you’ve driven gen 3.
Did you even read his post?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Did you even read his post?
Yes. That’s probably why we have comparison from every 150 trim from 17-20. I still can’t see an honest review of the new 4 coil over Raptor on road.

In my mind the gen Raptor will have the best ride out of every truck on the road. However it still has the awful eco power plant.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Thanks for everyone's responses. I am mostly leaning towards the Raptor. Nick made me a great offer if I order one but I would still have to work out my trade with him. I'm also still considering a few other options.
1. A Super Duty King Ranch or Platinum PSD
2. The new Silverado ZR2 or Denali
3. I like to see if RAM is putting a 9 or 10-spd in the their HD. I still think about my Gen 1 Cummins.
4. I'd like to see if RAM is updating their 1500. If they put the SRT 6.4 and massaging seats I could be swayed. Fricking wife is pissing about the Raptor not have M. seats. Even though the ones in my Platinum aren't anything great.
5. Another Platinum F-150, maybe get the 5.0 and Whipple it.
6. The wife said she wants a pick-up which would leave me open to an SUV, maybe a Yukon Denali, or Navigator Black Label
7. Keep my '19, do a tune and maybe a lift and buy another toy, maybe a Ferrari 360, or upgrade my 911 to a Turbo, or E63s or M5, Quarttroporte GTS.

Life is short and the years in front of me are less than the ones behind me. I'm fortunate enough to have the means and patience to wait and get what I want.

F8L SNK

Established Member
I had a 2019 Raptor after owning a 15 Platinum, no comparison, the raptor rides better. The comment of the "chop" on the tires is not indicative of shock control, it is typically alignment and lack of rotating them. Plus, off road tires in general have to be rotated more to help mitigate this issue. I had 56,000 on my 2019 raptor, I did go through the first set of KO2's too quickly before the cupped. The issue was the shop that did the leveling collars said I didn't need an alignment. Shame on me, I knew better but trusted them. On another note, my leveled 15 cupped the tires too. I never stayed with stock tires, so I can't say the stock ones would not have cupped or if they would have.

Move on to my 2021 with 37's. It is the best riding truck I've EVER owned. It does not handle (high speed turns) as my 19, but I am certain it is due to the taller sidewall of the 37's. I can't say enough about how much better the 21 is over my 19.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Just picked up my '21 a couple weeks ago. Head and shoulders above my '17 Raptor. While I liked the seats better in the 17, the '21 rides a lot better. It's a lot more "docile" than my '17. The front end grows on you, for sure. It looks a lot more aggressive, and at night, the lighting makes it that much more attractive.

My '17 has a block lift, and level up front, and it sits a tad lower than my non-37 package '21. FWIW....I do know there are differences in every truck.

Also, it's an interesting feel inside the truck. I feel like the dash was lowered, and angled more "in" towards the firewall. The shifter also feels like it is shifted more rear-ward so you're not leaning as much forward. It doesn't feel as ergonomic, but it certainly feels substantially bigger inside. I like the new infotainment system in comparison with the old, but that's just improved technology.

Stereo is much better...but as does with all technology. The power tailgate is nice and comes with some anti-theft hardware on it, but I imagine in time, trusty thieves will find their way around it.

SoCalShark

Established Member
I wanted to know if any of you have driven a 2021 Raptor and what you thought. How does it ride compared to a regular F-150. How do you like the new exhaust?

I'm thinking about ordering one to replace my '19 Platinum. I also have a '21 XLT for a work truck and in comparison to my '19 with with the 6.5' bed I think the 5.5' XLT rides a lot better.

Also I won't be ordering the 37" tires. I looked at the TRX but 300 mile ranges are unacceptable to me. The new Sierra looks really nice and I like the 6.2 but it's a GM and to keep it short, no matter how polished a turd is it's still a turd.

If I don't get the Raptor I'll either get a new Platinum or King Ranch or keep my '19 and get 360 Spyder.
I currently own an '18 Raptor. I have Eibach Front Leveling springs, and replaced the rears with Icon Spring pulled the blocks. Overall it sits nice and level and with about 2-2.5" front lift and 1-1.5" in rear. I also have Whipple kit, turbo adaptors, and exhaust on 35 Nitto RidgeGraps.

I drove the '21 37 package a couple weeks ago. It was leveled out and on replacement 37 RidgeGraps on 18" Methods. It also already had a similar Whipple kit, but no turbo adaptors. Overall the 21' was way more compliant over bumps. I will say you do notice the 37"s. The Snappy accel I have in mine is gone. I think due to 37"s. Could solve with a gear swap if needed. The newer tech and features of the '21 blow the '18 away. I like the '18 front end better but I am sure the '21 would grow with time. With my 35's I can get 17-18 mpg on long trips with my tonneau. I am not so sure about the 37"s.

Would I swap my '18 for a '21? Yeah but only if no ADM. And that aint happening right now. For reference I also had an '11 Screw 6.2 w/tune and a '13 w/ Roush s/c. Each one has been an improvement over the last. The G2 to G3 refresh and features are very nice. I think the suspension improvements are very noticeable. Tech is great. But Not sure why Ford is insistent on sticking it to their loyal customers with ADM's claiming economic reasons. As a business owner, I get it, to keep the lights on. As a consumer, it pisses me off completely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread