Has anyone added a power steering cooler? Wondering if this is suitable.

YELOSNK

Established Member
On track I am definitely cooking my power steering fluid. In order to prevent failure I'd like to DIY a cooler. Not sure how many other folks have done this, but I'm assuming I can just disconnect the 3/8 return-line hoses going to/from the stock "cooler" that goes in front of the radiator and attach it to something like this Hayden Rapid-Cool 676. It says it's a trans cooler, but I am assuming it would work fine for this.

Thoughts?

railroad

Established Member
I do the same on a Cobra kit car, using a trans cooler. Like you stated, be sure to run it off the return line.
It also adds capacity. Me and others have good success with Honda spec ps fluid.

YELOSNK

Established Member
I do the same on a Cobra kit car, using a trans cooler. Like you stated, be sure to run it off the return line.
It also adds capacity. Me and others have good success with Honda spec ps fluid.

Thanks! It seemed like a simple solution, but wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I'll take a look at the Honda fluid. So far I've been using Red Line.

01vert

Established Member
Same here. Added a smaller one since I needed room for an intercooler.

Attachments

• 47862D10-511C-40EC-9E32-55A90568802B.jpeg
    47862D10-511C-40EC-9E32-55A90568802B.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 60

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Cx racing has a little power steering cooler that mounts on the underside of the stock crash bar would be something else to consider

shurur

Established Member
The terminator has one with fins that mounts low. It looks to be better than what the newedge uses..

There is also a diy for the G35 that would work for our cars.

01vert

Established Member
nice! have you had that one on track, and if so, is it enough to prevent boiling your PS fluid?
Not tracked. I had to delete the loop of metal factory “cooler”. I would put one larger than this is the car was tracked. Plenty of room, just need to measure it out and see which size would fit.

01vert

Established Member
Forgot to mention you can get it in the path of the air coming in the hole in the bezel next to the fog light. Just need to figure it out while the bumper is off.

Users who are viewing this thread