Has anyone accidentally written over a tune?

nrmustang

Established Member
Long story short, my tuner sent me a start up tune to get to the dyno in a couple weeks. As I was uploading it into my X3, I had it on slot #1 - VMP 91 octane.

I hadn't done this before, and stupid me, I think I wrote over the 91 pulley/CAI tune.

Problem is, I need to drive this for about a week and a half before I can get the TVS & 60lbers installed. So I'm worried I won't have a tune.

And if I'm correct, if it is the startup tune, then with the stock injectors, it shouldn't even start, right?

Do you know of this happening to anyone else? Solutions? Thanks!!

nrmustang

Established Member
Well, I can answer my own question...I DID!!!

I uploaded what says 91 octane tune, and it fired up but stumbled and almost died.

Any suggestions?

nxhappy

Established Member
return tune to stock. stay out of boost. you will be fine.

nrmustang

Established Member
return tune to stock. stay out of boost. you will be fine.

Tried it. It stumbled just as bad. I'm wondering if the JLT 123mm needs to be tuned. BJ said to put the stock air cleaner back on, but I bought the car with the JLT, and don't have the stock setup.

I have a VMP 100 octane Torco tune. I uploaded that to see if all was well, and sure enough it idles just fine. I may run some torco and that tune for the next week or so. But When I get the blower swapped out and dyno tuned, I'm wanting a pump gas tune. So would having a torco mix in the tank throw things off?

Also, you're from Fresno right? You know who sells torco here? Thanks NX

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
What's screwing you is the 123MM CAI, the larger tube changes the way the MAF reads. Your pinging because the MAF is reading less air then its actually getting, JLT states a tune is required for that CAI. That's how it extends the sensors range the same frequency now correlates to more airflow.

That's why your race tune works because it has the right mass air function but most likely too much timing for pump.

Can you just get your tuner to resend the overwritten tune?

Last edited:

nrmustang

Established Member
That's what I figured with the JLT. My X3 came from VMP with the pulley/cai package. So I'm trying to see if they can send me a replacement. BJ said he'll try to look up the serial number in the data base. So hopefully by Monday I can get that figured out.

Really none of this will matter in a couple weeks when I get the TVS on and dyno tune it. But what a pain in the butt til' then! And especially from a bonehead move! I had never heard of someone overwriting their custom tune. But, there's a first for everything :nonono:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Haha can happen pretty easily, hopefully VMP can send you the file. If it was preloaded to your tuner and never tweaked via e-mail it's not exactly custom to your car just probably making sure you purchased it. Or try talking to who ever you got the startup tune from and see if they'll send you one with the stock injector values for now. Either way unless you get the original file back I'd stay out of boost.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
oh my bad, yes you will need the stock intake.

For the Torco , cheapest place to buy it is off ebay. Not sure if anyone in Fresno sells it.

Users who are viewing this thread